Rt. 144 Germania/Carter Camp Area

Swattie87

Swattie87

Read in Squatch's October Caddis Summit thread about some closures for repaving on Rt. 144 in/around Carter Camp and Germania. Figured I'd start a new thread as opposed to derailing that one.

I'm gonna be in that area in a couple weeks and wouldn't mind some more detail on specifically what sections of road will be closed and for how long. Any local knowledge?

Thanks gang.

I hear you should just scratch your trip in a couple of weeks and instead come up Rt 6 first weekend in October...

Rt. 144 is closed from Carter Camp to Pigeon Hill Rd. above Germania starting 9/2. I have no idea how long it will be closed. They are going to mill down the road and totally reconstruct it, so it will take longer than just a resurface. It's about 5 miles of road.

Coming up 44/144 from Oleona, You could try taking Heuser Rd. below Carter Camp to Ridge Rd, follow Ridge Rd across 144 onto Gross Rd, take Gross Rd to Crippen Run Rd, then take Paul Hollow Rd back out to Rt. 144 above the construction. These are all dirt roads. Or just take 44 up to Cherry Springs then West Branch Rd. to Galeton. West Branch Rd used to be a pos but the whole thing is resurfaced now.

Rt. 44 from Carter Camp to Sweden Valley gets very rough the last mile or so below Cherry Springs the rest of the way to Rt. 6. They are supposed to do from Carter Camp to Cherry Springs next. Now if they'll do 44 from the Potter Co line to the Kettle Creek bridge on 44, it'll be smooth sailing the whole way. Hope this helps.

Edit: Forgot to say that if you are adventurous, above Carter Camp you can take Zoerb Hollow Rd through The Notch and come out on West Branch Rd. It's shorter but probably not any quicker than going up to Cherry Springs. Also, the bridge on Kettle down Rausch Rd from Germania was still closed as of Labor Day.

Squatch - Yeah, cabin's already booked for a couple weeks out. You boys will have a blast as usual though I'm sure.

Salvelinus - Thanks for the info. We'll figure our way around. They were working on W. Branch Rd. the last time we were up. Good to hear that's done now. I assume they're letting some local traffic into/out of Germania? We like to eat at the Waldheim or the Hotel while we're up.

I would imagine they'd have to let traffic in Germania somehow. The Hotel is for sale so I don't know what their status is, I haven't seen many cars there. I'd rather go to the Waldheim anyways, the Hotel just always looked like a dirty place to me.

I agree...definitely prefer the Waldheim.

The food at the Hotel was never bad...it would take hours (literally) to get your food sometimes though. Not a big deal when you're planning on nursing back a few beers anyway, but when my three year old nephew is along and he's hungry...different story.

There are 2 routes to the Warpath Bridge that will get you to Germania Branch, one comes from Rt. 44 and the other comes in from Leetonia. There's a lot of excellent water in between. From rt. 44 take Rausch Rd. to the Warpath Bridge. From Leetonia take Leetonia Rd. to Sliders Rd. You can also get there from rt.6 by taking Elk Run Rd, to Leetonia Rd. and take that to Sliders Rd.

Back