Royal Wulff Triangle Taper

L

Lonewolve

I have some dough an am entertaining getting a Triagle Taper for my trip up to the Salmon River, i used to use a double taper Cortland 444 5 wt cut in half an have misplaced both ends.
I also did the running line thing for a few years and they are now a no no if i do fish the fly zones.
Anyone use one or try one for trout what are your opinions?I mostly swing Marabous /Speys/And Hairwing wets.
i remember havin to do alot of rolcasting as well as water casts.

Tight Wraps ^ Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

Lonewolve wrote:

I also did the running line thing for a few years and they are now a no no if i do fish the fly zones.

Tight Wraps ^ Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

Rick, can you not use interchangeable shooting heads looped to a shooting/running line in the fly zones? I can't keep track of all of the rules up there.

I have the Ambush TT and I like it. It rolls out pretty easily.

Turkey,
I am not sure i want to get into heads, i prefer a line myself, i know me...im likely to lose the damn things and i really don't want to spend any time i should be fishing depending where on the river goin to Malinda's {My favorite shop on the Salmon} or Whitaker's, Fat Nancy's, or Four Season's.
But maybe in the future i might look into it.I use split shot alot, but the last ten years depending on flo i use the Airflo Salmon/Steelhead Poly leaders looped to the tip of the line, they are available in 5' and 10' i use 5'.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace
Ambush a Wullf product?

I have become a big fan of the polyleaders too.

I think the biggest advantage of the "backing, running line, head, etc." system is that you can change out what type of head you want to use. The heads are a bit cheaper then getting a full line too.

But you are right, I quickly learned that I need to keep that stuff labeled so I know what it is.

TT ambush works the best for me when I don't need dry fly presentation. I want a line that will roll over a couple of split shot and weighted nymph/streamer. TT ambush does it great and I need zero backcast room to get a 45-55 foot cast out of my 8 weight 9ft orvis rod.

Lonewolve wrote:
Turkey,
I am not sure i want to get into heads, i prefer a line myself, i know me...im likely to lose the damn things and i really don't want to spend any time i should be fishing depending where on the river goin to Malinda's {My favorite shop on the Salmon} or Whitaker's, Fat Nancy's, or Four Season's.
But maybe in the future i might look into it.I use split shot alot, but the last ten years depending on flo i use the Airflo Salmon/Steelhead Poly leaders looped to the tip of the line, they are available in 5' and 10' i use 5'.
Rick Wallace
Ambush a Wullf product?
yes ambush is a wulff product.

I remember about 15 years ago lower fly zone a guy and his pop were using this line and doing as well as my three friends and i using running lines and splitshot rigs, when i say split shot i mean like #4 shots not cannon balls.
one thing i remeber was how nicely this line roll casts and that will be the method of choice if there are a ton of goons like i expect there will be.
Ambush huh... well ill have to figure out where the hell in Pa I can get one in size #9 weight. Kings will be around and i like wrestling with em as well as cohos ,steeelies and browns.

Lonewolve wrote:
...Anyone use one or try one for trout what are your opinions?I mostly swing Marabous /Speys/And Hairwing wets.
i remember havin to do alot of rolcasting as well as water casts...

if that is the type of fishing that you really want to do, i'd recommend a mini sink tip in type IV or V. a short 15 pound leader and you are in business.
nothing water casts better and you are definitely legal in any section - no additional weight.
now, if you are interested in also using egg patterns, it would be tough

Lonewolve wrote:
I remember about 15 years ago lower fly zone a guy and his pop were using this line and doing as well as my three friends and i using running lines and splitshot rigs, when i say split shot i mean like #4 shots not cannon balls.
one thing i remeber was how nicely this line roll casts and that will be the method of choice if there are a ton of goons like i expect there will be.
Ambush huh... well ill have to figure out where the hell in Pa I can get one in size #9 weight. Kings will be around and i like wrestling with em as well as cohos ,steeelies and browns.
Check cabelas, I think wulff makes it in a 9 wt. I doubt a king will break a 8 wt though. Check the poundage difference from a 8 to a 9 wt. A 9 wt would be great for rolling heavy streamers.

Well i just ordered a Wullff Triangle Taper in 9 wt orange is the color,I tried Hook & Hackle ..they were already closed for the day.
Cabela's got the order,i was gonna try the ambush but from other reviews i think i made a better choice.
Time will tell, all i know is that with a lil rain and a push of fish.Lets get ready to rumble!
Time to pack and i will be doing a tying Marathon, need some more Speys, wets, a few nymphs ect.
Rick Wallace
This line goes on my GLoomis GL4 9" 9 wt

Let us know how the line works for you. Good luck!

Keep me posted as I really like the tt ambush line for my 4 wt and 8 wt. The 8 wt will cast a really heavy crayfish pattern for smallies ok.

Brookies,Guys,
Got back last night, I used a Wullf Triangle Taper 9 wt in orange. also started with a airflo poly leader looped to the end and anywhere between a 2 1/2' and 3' of 10 lb Maxima or Flouro. Depending where i had fished the first day i had to pich a shot on the tippet to get a better swing or drift. down on tailouts i just used the poly leader an that worked great i also tried several different weights of Poly leaders till i was satisfied with results....Fish On.
Tuesday was solid Kings they just kept coming an coming, Wednesday Was Kings with a bunch of Cohos and a few Steelhead.thursday it was constant Cohos all day long a pair of steelhead at first light.Friday 3 steelhead at first light then cohos all day off an on, I didn't fish Saturday ..i could have but how many damn fish ya have to land till yer happy?
I'd say i am smitten with this particular line, It wasn't a Steelhead/Salmon Triangle Taper, it was the Regular Triangle Taper in 9 wt.I will have to wait an see about the Ambush line, i enjoy Smallmouth, was kinda looking foward to gettin a Rio Clouser or Smallmouth line.
I also fish for Shad but this year im gearin to go Spey with a bigger rod for Shad/Salmon/Steelhead/Stripers{off the Jetties}.
I also didn't get a water temp, ill have to place a thermometer in my Open Range Fishpond vestpack?
I am a confirmed double taper guy , but i alsp love Rio Windcutters too, now i think ill try this in a Trout Size maybe 5 wt or 4 wt and see what happens ,i like nymphing alot , i dont always get any takes but i learn alot everyutime i do nymph,however dry is where i started and i do pretty good at that technique.Recently I have fallen in love with swinging soft hackles and wets.
Time will tell
Rick Wallace

Lonewolve wrote:
Brookies,Guys,
Got back last night, I used a Wullf Triangle Taper 9 wt in orange. also started with a airflo poly leader looped to the end and anywhere between a 2 1/2' and 3' of 10 lb Maxima or Flouro. Depending where i had fished the first day i had to pich a shot on the tippet to get a better swing or drift. down on tailouts i just used the poly leader an that worked great i also tried several different weights of Poly leaders till i was satisfied with results....Fish On.
Tuesday was solid Kings they just kept coming an coming, Wednesday Was Kings with a bunch of Cohos and a few Steelhead.thursday it was constant Cohos all day long a pair of steelhead at first light.Friday 3 steelhead at first light then cohos all day off an on, I didn't fish Saturday ..i could have but how many damn fish ya have to land till yer happy?
I'd say i am smitten with this particular line, It wasn't a Steelhead/Salmon Triangle Taper, it was the Regular Triangle Taper in 9 wt.I will have to wait an see about the Ambush line, i enjoy Smallmouth, was kinda looking foward to gettin a Rio Clouser or Smallmouth line.
I also fish for Shad but this year im gearin to go Spey with a bigger rod for Shad/Salmon/Steelhead/Stripers{off the Jetties}.
I also didn't get a water temp, ill have to place a thermometer in my Open Range Fishpond vestpack?
I am a confirmed double taper guy , but i alsp love Rio Windcutters too, now i think ill try this in a Trout Size maybe 5 wt or 4 wt and see what happens ,i like nymphing alot , i dont always get any takes but i learn alot everyutime i do nymph,however dry is where i started and i do pretty good at that technique.Recently I have fallen in love with swinging soft hackles and wets.
Time will tell
Rick Wallace

Rick,
How does the line roll cast and Jump roll cast? Also spey cast and snap T? Were I fish I don't do much backcasting. I cannot imagine it would jump roll cast better than the ambush type. So is the profile similiar to a shooting head? Maybe a slightly longer rear taper? That is the only disadvantage is the ambush doesnt have much of a rear taper.
Thanks
Greg

Brookie,
I am very smitten with this line, its in the orange color is a 9 wt standard Triangle Taper, is probabaly the best roll casting i have ever done where as distance is concerned as well as it also casts ovber head, and Spey, Snap T,Single & Double Spey casts were excellent too. I used a Airflo Poly Leader in various weights and caught a bunch of fish, with a Salmon River Rig it was good too had to learn to cast that setup though ..aint like using a 5wt double taper cut in half or a running line.
I willl be buying a Salmon/Steelhead Triangle Taper for next year as well as a 4 and 5 wt Triangle taper too.
Rick Wallace

I will get one of those lines for my 8 wt next spring. I will need a wf line for it by then.
Thanks for letting me know.
Greg
Lonewolve wrote:
Brookie,
I am very smitten with this line, its in the orange color is a 9 wt standard Triangle Taper, is probabaly the best roll casting i have ever done where as distance is concerned as well as it also casts ovber head, and Spey, Snap T,Single & Double Spey casts were excellent too. I used a Airflo Poly Leader in various weights and caught a bunch of fish, with a Salmon River Rig it was good too had to learn to cast that setup though ..aint like using a 5wt double taper cut in half or a running line.
I willl be buying a Salmon/Steelhead Triangle Taper for next year as well as a 4 and 5 wt Triangle taper too.
Rick Wallace

I have Lee Wulff TT for my 7wt and Joan Wulff TT for my 5wt. I like how easy it is to roll cast this line. Definitely going to stay with this line.

Back