Route 15 - White Deer Creek and White Deer Hole Creek differences?

P

PaScoGi

Just noticed that these are actually 2 different creeks that flow into Susquehanna

Are they actually different types of streams to fish?

Are there trout in either of them?

Looks like they are freestoners that flow along roads and farmlands

I drive 15 all the time thinking about stopping and trying them out but wanted to know if there are differences between them

Just weird how the streams are closely named and I never noticed until now

This is around Lycoming County for those who drive route 15

Thanks for any help

Dear PaScoGi,

They are both trout streams. Both are stocked by the Fish Commission. They may be stocked by co-op hatcheries too, I don't have the particulars on that.

I've fished White Deer Hole Creek once or twice. In the upper end, way up from Rte 15 it has wild fish, both natives and invasives. This year might be a good year to explore the upper reaches beyond the stocked section since it hasn't been all that warm this summer and we have had plenty of rain since June.

White Deer I have fished many times, but always well above Rte 15 on White Deer Pike up to the Centre County line where it gets too itty-bitty for a big man like me. It's a great creek when the water is right. It has a Fly Fishing Only Regs stretch from Cooper Mill Road up to the itty-bitty stretch on the Centre County line off of McCall Dam Road. I always caught a good mix of wild and invasive species of trout on it when the water was good. I last visited it during the PAFF Jamboree this year. The water was low back in May. I think it might be better now.

As a side note, Spring Creek comes in around Allenwood. There is a road that sort of parallels it, and I know from a good friend that it is the closest thing to an actual spring creek as there is in Lycoming County.

Pack a rod and make a side trip!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Dear PaScoGi,

They are both trout streams. Both are stocked by the Fish Commission. They may be stocked by co-op hatcheries too, I don't have the particulars on that.

I've fished White Deer Hole Creek once or twice. In the upper end, way up from Rte 15 it has wild fish, both natives and invasives. This year might be a good year to explore the upper reaches beyond the stocked section since it hasn't been all that warm this summer and we have had plenty of rain since June.

White Deer I have fished many times, but always well above Rte 15 on White Deer Pike up to the Centre County line where it gets too itty-bitty for a big man like me. It's a great creek when the water is right. It has a Fly Fishing Only Regs stretch from Cooper Mill Road up to the itty-bitty stretch on the Centre County line off of McCall Dam Road. I always caught a good mix of wild and invasive species of trout on it when the water was good. I last visited it during the PAFF Jamboree this year. The water was low back in May. I think it might be better now.

As a side note, Spring Creek comes in around Allenwood. There is a road that sort of parallels it, and I know from a good friend that it is the closest thing to an actual spring creek as there is in Lycoming County.

Pack a rod and make a side trip!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)
I didn't know that snakeheads got that far up the West Branch of the Susquehanna.

Thanks all, much appreciated!

Back