Round Gobies found in Lake LeBoeuf

streamerguy1

streamerguy1

This is not good.....

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/newsreleases/2014press/ais-erie.htm

Terrible news. I've seen places on Lake Erie and the lower part of its tribs where the bottom is covered with these things. They're very aggressive little fish too. This can be devastating especially if they find their way to French Creek, and ultimately the Allegheny, Ohio River, etc.

Attachments

• goby.jpg
    goby.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 8
they are steelhead candy up in NW ontario - nipigon jumbo brookies love em too.

every cloud....

They are a major food source for SMB in Eastern Lake Erie (probably western Lake Erie too). There was a lot of controversy when they were first discovered but the fishing in Lake Erie and Lake Ontario hasn't suffered too much because of them.

True. Just not sure how this will impact all the threatened and endangered darters and stuff in French. Hopefully it doesn't have a major affect on other species, but only time will tell I guess....

Well, if they are in Lake LeB, then it is only a matter of time that they will be found in French Creek, Allegheny River etc, etc.

Maybe the freakin silver carp will eat them, or maybe the gobies will eat the carp eggs. I have no idea what I am talking about, and no idea how bad it will be if t all. But one thing is for sure, it can't be good.

It is very difficult to predict what the impact of this will be on LeBoeuf, let alone on the connecting systems. There isn't really a lot of data out there on Gobys and small glacial lakes with significant eutrophication like Lake LeBoeuf. Nor is there much information on the impact of Gobys in flowing waters with the sort of physical characteristics and substrate of the LeBoeuf Outlet or upper French Creek. Wisconsin Sea Grant (an arm of NOAA) in cooperation Wisconsin DNR has done some stream sampling to assess Goby infestations in Lake Michigan tribs and the results been all over the map. So, as has been said, we don't know what is going to happen and we'll just have to wait and see.

All the same, three things come to mind for me:

1) I take this very personally. LeBoeuf is where I learned to fish almost 60 years ago and the Outlet at one time was one of the most unique fisheries in the area and perhaps the entire state. It was a top tier flowing water largemouth bass stream, the only one of its size or quality I've seen to this day.

2) Comparisons and assumptions regarding LeBoeuf based on the observed impact of Goby on Lakes Erie or Ontario are completely useless and non-pertinent. LeBoeuf is a 70 acre shallow, sand/silt bottomed glacial pothole and other than being wet, has virtually nothing in common with any of the Great Lakes.

3) Why was LeBoeuf (with a min wake reg in place) the first of the inland lakes of the NW where this been documented? I mean, why not Edinboro or Conneaut with their unlimited horsepower boating regs and never-ending stream of nitwits skiing and jet boating? I'd think the transfer from the big lake would have been much more likely there than LeBoeuf. One of those things that makes you go hmmm, I guess...

I'm taking this very personally and right now, feel like it would be a good idea if somebody blew up the St. Lawrence Seaway. Well, not really. But if I did, I'd certainly have a damned good reason for feeling this way.

RLeeP wrote:

3) Why was LeBoeuf (with a min wake reg in place) the first of the inland lakes of the NW where this been documented? I mean, why not Edinboro or Conneaut with their unlimited horsepower boating regs and never-ending stream of nitwits skiing and jet boating? I'd think the transfer from the big lake would have been much more likely there than LeBoeuf. One of those things that makes you go hmmm, I guess...

Gobynado!

Other than proximity to Lake Erie, it doesn't make sense to me, either. Maybe some idiot brought some back from Lake Erie in their live well or bait bucket or something. So freakin stupid, and I understand your frustration.

I would have guessed it would reach Chataqua or Kinzua first and in Jinzua they will likely be more of a problem.

Most likely bait bucket stocking. The same way alewives got into many of the lakes.

kill them like people kill suckers and chubs toss em on the banks you know feed the crows

Back