Ross Evo R

I

ICM

I'm thinking about a new reel for my 9ft 5wt. The new Ross Evo R 5/6 sounds and looks great based upon what I can determine online, but since my local shops don't have them in yet, I haven't had a chance to play with it in person. Any body see them at Somerset or Lancaster and if so, what did you think?

As a fan of the Ross reels, I don't think you can go wrong, if the weight and size is a good match for your rod. I just took a look at that one, and it's beautiful, but I have no hands-on experience with that model. I DO however, have years of using Ross reels in general, Gunnison, Colorado and a recent FlyRise (imported) on my lake 6/7 rod... I can tell you that if you have no previous experience with Ross reels, you will be pleasantly surprised - and American made beauty that works and lasts and lasts. I just bought my 4th, a leftover from the Heritage Series re-release of the Gunnison (size 1).
Mike B

While the R is a work of art, is it worth the additional $175 when compared to the LT? I'm hesitant until I see how the durability of the new model stacks up. With the manufactures trying to make things lighter and lighter, they also become more fragile. I'd hate to slip on the bank have the reel bend beyond use. It's too pretty.

I handled one and I do not like the drag knob not to mention manufacturers keep upping the diameter of their lineup. The 4/5 which was the #2 is almost 3.5". I have a few of the originals plus the LT. I agree with Kray... can't beat the LT and since it is discontinued you could get that plus a couple spools for the price of the R.

I'm relatively new to fly fishing - 4 years to be exact. I've learned, however, that the sport is not completely rational. There is a significant emotional component. There are certainly easier, cheaper and probably more effective ways to catch fish. But the elegance of watching your line unfurl in a tight loop 45' to a waiting sipper, the sound of a screaming reel when a big one rips off line during a run, the sights, sounds and feel of the water as you wade - therein lies the special appeal of fly fishing. Part of that special appeal is the look, feel and performance of your equipment. If one views a particular rod or reel as a "work of art", it may not help in catching more fish, but it surely enhances the experience. While there are certainly a number of reels ( Nautilus XM, Lamson Litespeed, Hardy Ultralight CADD, Galvan Torque, Ross Evo Lt )which appear to be functional equivalents, none have the aesthetic appeal to me as does the Evo R.
PS. Jrmyln, What is it about the drag knob that you do not like?

The drag knob is the entire back of the reel. See video below. The rep used to be the manager at DRC. Called Ross about a month ago and spoke with him directly. Very nice guy.

Seems like the line could get hung up around the wheel.

Back