Roll cast instructional

Fredrick

Fredrick

This cast is one of the most important casts in fly fishing to learn. Here is a great video with even better visuals on how to execute this cast .

Thanks Fredrick - great visuals, as you said.

Paging Stagger - This is a much better visual than what JT and I were trying to show you on the Little Lehigh at the Fish and Chips event.

great video will have to practice that one

Great video, I always feel like I am disturbing the fish I.E. Lining them with a roll cast.

I didn't see him catch any fish!! "Nicely done video" though.

Dave .. "paging Stagger"????

That guy reminds me of Stagger :)

Good video and tho I must improve my roll cast, it is the one I use most often

Andrew

I know you have surpassed this guy already, but thought you might like to see it done more smoothly than what I demonstrated!

Dave

Are ya saying our explanation was flawed Dave?

Volksnurse wrote:

Not your explanation.........nevermind. ;-)

Volksnurse wrote:

JT,

The explanation was, of course, flawless. It was my demonstration that was flawed. :)

Dave

Not likely Mr. I-Cought-A-Fish-On-The-First-Fly-I-Tied.

But I do like the video...
djs12354 wrote:
Volksnurse wrote:

JT,

The explanation was, of course, flawless. It was my demonstration that was flawed. :)

Dave

So watching the video again, he clearly states it is not a directional change cast, and you need to line up with the line that is still on the water.

If so, you cast and drift a run, how do you then use this cast to cast to the top of the run again? do you start your pull to form your D-Lopp in the direction of the top of the run?

sroach wrote:
So watching the video again, he clearly states it is not a directional change cast, and you need to line up with the line that is still on the water.

If so, you cast and drift a run, how do you then use this cast to cast to the top of the run again? do you start your pull to form your D-Lopp in the direction of the top of the run?

A friend of mine made this short video that explains this...

To simplify things, you can just flip the line upstream using the current to provide the load on the rod (water haul).

If you need to reach out further across the river, just flip the line upstream in front of you, then make your rollcast.

The important thing to remember here is to make sure the line is on the opposite side of the rod as you are.

Did you guys get authorization from the owners to put these videos on this forum? Remember there are copyright laws. Hate to see anyone get in trouble over trying to help us all out with roll casting. But in today's times we really need to be cautious.

PennypackFlyer wrote:
Did you guys get authorization from the owners to put these videos on this forum? Remember there are copyright laws. Hate to see anyone get in trouble over trying to help us all out with roll casting. But in today's times we really need to be cautious.

Right from You Tube's Terms.... I think we're good.

4. General Use of the Service—Permissions and Restrictions

YouTube hereby grants you permission to access and use the Service as set forth in these Terms of Service, provided that:

You agree not to distribute in any medium any part of the Service or the Content without YouTube's prior written authorization, unless YouTube makes available the means for such distribution through functionality offered by the Service (such as the Embeddable Player).

OK! sounds good to me...Thanks for sharing the video.

Back