Rods on a plane

D

dubthethorax

So, I just recently made a trip out to Sacramento for a wedding and decided to bring my gear along to do some fishing. I opted for my 2 peice 6 weight, and my 4 peice 8 weight switch. I put everything in a 4.5 foot St Croix tube.

When I got to the airport, they told me that I had to check it because TSA wouldnt let me through with it. They said it could be used as a weapon. They then tried to charge me $40 to check it as oversized. I argued that I was allowed one fishing rod in leiu of one checked bag and after checking the website and talking to three other people, the lady checked it for free.

It made it through just fine to Sacramento without a scratch.

On my way home, I tried to bring it on board and they said no, I had to check it. This time, they made me pay $40 for it, for a total of $65 for checked backs including my luggage. what a scam! I tried arguing, but it was getting heated and I felt TSA creeping up behind me so I decided to just pay and move on.

It did arrive safely in Philly though.

So yeah, if you fly United, just be aware of the charges you might face with bringing on two peice rods.

You could have mailed it for less than $20 bucks

Interesting, I just flew out n back over Labor Day week to Kallispell, MT from Harrisburg with a 4' Bass Pro Codura over plastic rod tube holding (3) cane rods and had no issues at all carrying it on. Including layovers in Detroit, Minneapolis and Salt Lake...where did they hassle ya, at the ticket counter or when boarding?

edit to add, was your tube bare aluminum? they generally frown on big metal objects...

I have flown US Air from Philly to MT and Harrisburg to Maine and on each flight saw folks bring rod tubes and/or cases which contained 2 piece rods. Both of these flights were this year. Having said that they ARE too long to stow under the seat or in overhead, thus you likely have to plane side check. This is where you have a tag, carry it to the gate or the door of the plane and they put it with the other checked luggage. After all it is simply to long to fit.

I carry/use 4 piece rods with no problem. I stick a few rods in the tube and put the tube in my backpack or brief case straps. This counts as a "personal item" and does not negate your carry on bag.

Tomitrout, where did you store the rod as it would not fit under the seat nor overhead?

4' tubes fit in the overhead no problem.

They wouldnt let me get past the checkin counter with it.

Each airline seems to have their own rules for what you can and cannot carry on from my experience.
Most of my trips to montana were on northwest airlines - and I never had a problem carrying on a long tube with them. As long as it fit in the overhead - which it did on every flight - they were OK with it.
Only I time I was ever hassled about it, was on a flight to salt lake city - on I believe, united airline.

I just recently bought a 5 piece rod off another site member. Along with my 4 piece that I bought a few years ago - this gives me 2 travel rods for west trips. And I shouldn't have any more carry on problems now

Pre 9/11 I carried my rods on all the time. That was then, I haven't flown with rods since 03. But I never lost anything.

In August, I flew United to and from Jackson with a double rod & reel case for piece rods. Carried it on, had no hassel in Cleveland, Denver or Jackson. On the way home, I saw several guys cary on two piece rod tubes.

I posted findings in June when I flew to P.R. Delta doesn't have guidelines. They checked with TSA and that's the info they gave me. 42 inches I believe was what they would allow for a rod tube. I had no problem with my 4pc. You can search the on here for the posts where we've discussed this before.

here it is:

airline discussion

Fwiw, the second leg of my MT trip and the return trip first leg was operated by United.

I called the airline ahead of time to insure that I would not have a problem with my 2 peice rod...Found out that it was to long...so I opted for my 5wt 4 peice. Place of travel: Colombia South America. In Colombia they did have the dogs sniffing the case for drugs...of course non to be found.

5 foot plastic case on a plane no problem. scarier still, i forgot to remove my scissors from my carry-on and got through security with them.

Back