Rods for Erie tribs

Crotalus

Crotalus

Used my Bass Pro Hobbs Creek 8wt over the weekend for steelhead. I bought this rod a few years back when i was going to the Caribbean on a business trip, have since used it on the Juniata for smallmouth and this past weekend for steelies. Overall I think i really dont like it, it kills my arm, dont know whether it is the weight of the rod or the action or what. The day i used it on the Juniata i ended up with tendonitis in my left elbow for 2 months.

Now that i have made the trip to Erie I want to make many more, but I dont want to use this rod again, ever.

I want something that is going to work on Erie steelhead without being overkill but could also be used on salmon if i ever make it to Pulaski.

I am thinking a switch rod may be the best choice in a 7wt configuration. I didnt really pay attention to see what other folks were using over the weekend so i am not sure if switch rods are used up there or not.

any info is appreciated, thanks

Joe

I like my fast action 9' 6wt on the Erie Tribs, but I feel a little outgunned at times. There are times when I couldn't turn them or keep them from pool hopping. Not fun when the banks are loaded with guys.

I just ordered myself a 10' 7wt Echo Ion for Erie. I think it'll be okay for the trout in the Salmon, but in fast current or when targeting salmon I'll probably need a bit more.

Got a 9ft 8wt that I was using alot for steel the last 2 years.

Got it for the very reason that I could also use it for light saltwater fishing with it also.

It is a little strong for steel but not overly so and it does fine.

I have been using a 9 and half foot 6 wt. this year so far and it has been working fine- although I am getting better at landing them with a little more expereince. Trying a little softer, longer rod to protect the tippet.

I think 6,7,8 wts are fine.

But if I had to pick one it would be a 10 ft 7wt. Not much casting in Erie more highsticking.

If your only looking for steel and dont want to spend alot I would call poor richards in Erie- they have whole outfits in several weights and lengths for under $50.

Good luck.

I have a 9ft 8wt Orvis Clearwater II I got for the same reasons Akid. Good value at $200 I think.

I have an 8wt 9' TFO TICR rod. I use it for steelies and love it. Ask Millertime and Goldenfly about the steelhead I landed in about 5 seconds flat at the JAM. (I did catch that same fish about 15 minutes prior, but that's beside the point :-D) I like the heavier weight to push the fish around. I can turn their head and controll them much easier with an 8 wt. If I were to change anything, I'd get maybe a 9'6" or a 10ft rod. I'm happy with mine, but sometimes want the extra length. It's very stiff and I use it for bass in the summer too, so it has multiple uses. As others have said, you probably want a heavier rod if you're targeting salmon, and an 8wt is probably just a tad on the light side for them. Look on Albrightflyfish.com and maybe you can get a few rods for your price range... maybe a 7wt for steelies and a 9 or 10 for salmon.

Ryan

I have a 10 foot 7 weight for Erie that works very well there. I ended up using this rod for salmon in NY after I broke the 9 weight I had bought for the trip. The 10 foot 7 weight was adequate for salmon, but probably not ideal.

I use a 9'6" and a 10' 7wt.
med. to med. fast.
It seems most people nowadays are using long 6wts.
I like the extra oomph of the 7 for throwing heavy streamers. The extra length helps in mending and roll casting.

I have this used outfit for sale
St Croix 9' 7/8wht 2pc w/Orvis Rocky Mnt IV reel w/wf 7line

I used my Albright A-5 9' 8wt last weekend for the jam. I hooked up with some pigs and it held up well. Nice rod for the price.

GoldenFly wrote:
I used my Albright A-5 9' 8wt last weekend for the jam. I hooked up with some pigs and it held up well. Nice rod for the price.

Now if you could have only gotten one of those knotless leaders, then you'd put some more fishing in :-D

hahaha

My weapon of choice for the tribs:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Flextec-CRX88-Trout-Fly-Fishing-Rod-10ft-4-Piece-6-7_W0QQitemZ250525875062QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL?hash=item3a54817b76

Heck of a rod for the price. I paid around $70 US for mine.

wpatrapper wrote:
My weapon of choice for the tribs:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Flextec-CRX88-Trout-Fly-Fishing-Rod-10ft-4-Piece-6-7_W0QQitemZ250525875062QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL?hash=item3a54817b76

Heck of a rod for the price. I paid around $70 US for mine.

uhh ohh... its that ebay seller again....

Well I am skipping the switch rod.

Now i need to decide between a 9' 8 wt, and a 10' 7 wt and then pick a blank.

Sometimes it sucks being an engineer, it would be nice to be able to walk into a shop and buy the first rod that fits my price range. but no, i have to research everything to death

Crotalus wrote:
Now i need to decide between a 9' 8 wt, and a 10' 7 wt and then pick a blank.

Here's one for ya - this is gonna be my next blank.

Read the reviews - might be just what you're looking for.

Thanks Ed, havent seen that one yet, just made the waters a bit muddier for me ;)

For the PA tribs, I go with a 10' 6wt: it's light enough that it makes high sticking pretty bearable on all day outings and has enough backbone to put the wood to 'em.

If you want something to fish on salmon as well I'd go with an eight. Salmon are really powerful and if you fish them on big water a nine or even a ten wt is better suited.

But, if you really want an all-rounder for steelhead only, a 10' 7wt is probably the ideal stick for them.

As for the switch phenomenon, they are sweet rods if you just want to try something new and really want to get into swinging flies, but they really aren't the best for nymphing IMO as they are too heavy for single hand fishing. On the flip side, a ten foot single hander is fine for throwing big streamers fishing them on the swing.

That's all I have.

getting a 10' 7wt. was waffling around between 9' and 10' and 6wt, 7wt, 8wt. Got a message from the guy that builds my rods that he got a killer deal in a 10' 7wt blank so that is what i am going with.

I am moving up to 11' in 7 weight.....The added length helps protect light tippets....Also, the added length will come in handy for the N.E. Ohio tribs which tend to be wider....

I made a 10’ 3/2 6/7 wt bamboo rod several years ago and I going to give it a go in December. Although, I’m taking along a 8’ 7 wt bamboo for backup and if they break the two bamboo rods and extra tips the Sage 790-3 RPLXi may get pulled from the rod tube.

Joe E

I fished my 11ft 6wt exclusively on the upper fly zone at the salmon river. The water up there is smaller, and flows were low. I wouldn't like it in higher flows up there, but it would be an awesome all around erie rod. I was concerned about it not being enough rod, but the extra few feet of length helped a lot. I wish it were a 7wt for NY, but would say the 11ft 6wt is the ultimate erie rod.

I hope to convince myself fully with a trip up there this year.

Back