Rod Suggestions...

Paulson

Paulson

I am first looking for a smaller "brookie" rod, probably 7ft to 7 1/2ft and a larger 7-8 weight 9ft "largemouth" rod.

So far I am thinking about a Winston Pursuit or a TFO TiCrX for the bass rod. Does anyone have any experience with these rods?

For the smaller rod, I am clueless.

Redington pursuit...winston would be $800! Krayfish may chime in on the tfo axiom.

Ah, the Winston Passport is what I was referring to! I'll get that $800 Winston one day.

Actually, I was interested in the Axiom to. Don't know much about it.

I know there are some spots online that have good deals on tfo rods.

I see that, thanks for the heads up

If you have a shop close by that carries TFO, I'd cast an Axiom, Clouser, Mangrove and TiCRx. Cast them at distances you will actually fish. Any one of them will cast plenty far. In the same price range, you have the Redington Predator. I think most of them might cast easier with a head heavy taper. I've seen some Greys Grix+ on clearance and that might be a decent stick for bass.

Thank you for the suggestion.

All seem to be decent rods in the same price range. I might not pass a deal on an Axiom however, with out even casting it. I feel I could recoup if I find it a personal lost.

My worry is of my lack of experience; any difference in casting heavier rods?

I almost solely use 5 weights anymore. I did get the 7 weight Axiom and felt it was too much for my applications. For bass bugs and that style of line...it's money. If you have good mechanics / timing, that thing will drop your jaw. It's a cannon. With that said, I'd still suggest casting one first.

To answer your question, I don't notice much difference between tossing a 5 weight and a 7. The rod is definitely heavier. Depending on the line you choose, you may have to slow your stroke a tad. You want a cheap rod for bass that can cast a whole floating line? $60 Redington Pursuit. I snagged a 9'6" 7wt and was quite impressed in performance. The reel seatand finishing touches might not be up to the level of more eexpensive rods but......you could get a pursuit, echo ion reel, backing and SA or Rio line for the price of a FiXEd.

One you overlooked is the BVK. You can find them for $225-$249

Not much input to offer on the LM rod. My WW rod is a fast action 6wt, and I generally fish medium sized creeks for SM that average 12” or less, so I’m usually not throwing huge flies. I’d defer to the previous advice, but generally I think a faster action rod is best suited for larger, heavier flies.

As far as the Brookie rod goes, my main advice here is don’t spend a fortune. These rods get beat up and abused and you shouldn’t feel bad about it. You should be able to find a good rod for this purpose for under $200. Nearly Redington’s entire line fits this bill, Echo Carbon, LLBean Streamlight Ultra, Cabelas and BPS mid range house line rods, Orvis Clearwater on the high end maybe. I’d look for a 4 piece too…makes hiking in with it easier.

Thanks for the suggestions. There is a possibility of a custom rod build in that price range.

Does anyone have any experience with the Redington Butterstick? Looks like a fun rod to cast, but I am glass ignorant, and $250 just seems a bit high in price as much of a Redington fan as I am.

Paulson wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. There is a possibility of a custom rod build in that price range.

Does anyone have any experience with the Redington Butterstick? Looks like a fun rod to cast, but I am glass ignorant, and $250 just seems a bit high in price as much of a Redington fan as I am.

Was going to suggest you look at glass for the brookie rod. I don't own any myself, but everyone I know who fishes them for small fish/on small streams loves them.

Here's a review on the butter stick: http://www.hatchmag.com/articles/review-redington-butter-stick-fly-rod/7711146

Echo has a glass offering @ $199 that I've heard nothing but positive feedback on as well, and of course there's always Eagle Claw.

Back