Rod Size

A

ArcadeFire78

Hello all! Newbie to the forum here and returning to fly fishing after many years. I have been reading a lot and the more I read the more uncertain I get in regards to buying a new fly rod. In the past, many years ago, I used an old Shakespeare rod and had a lot of fun but now I want to sort of step up in the ranks and buy a better rod. I did most of my fishing for trout and warm water species in south central PA (Mountain Creek and the Conodoguinet Creek) but now I want to try to do a lot of my fishing on creeks like the Letort, Big Spring, Green Spring, Yellow Breeches. Shaffer Run and other streams in the central PA area. That being said, since it has been so long what would be an ideal length and weight for a rod for these streams? I know there are varying opinions, but a ballpark idea would be very appreciated and will help to narrow my focus since I am driving my wife crazy spending time looking at fly rods 24/7. Thanks for the wonderful read to the regulars. Take care and best wishes.

I would say a 9' 5 wt is the best all around for eastern US fishing. It will handle trout and smaller warm water situations.

Ditto.

He is not fishing all around Eastern US streams. Letort, Big Spring, Falling Spring, Green Spring, etc call for a shorter rod with back bone. I would suggest a 8' 4 or 5 wt. I like the 4wt as I see a lot of difference in my ability to gently lay out a casts to the spooky browns of Letort, Big Spring, etc. If you lean more toward streamers, sculpins and larger flies I would suggest the 5wt may be beneficial. I am currently in love with 8' 4wt St Croix Legend Ultra.

I'm not familar with the streams listed, but the bulk of my trouting could be accomplished quite well with an 8' 4wt rod.

I'm not familar with the streams listed,

We could remedy that issue. I think you would really like those streams.

The streams he is looking to fish have tight quarter casting, small width, very spooky wild fish and some are known (historically) to get rather large. It's not a place that one could likely get a great deal of success with a 1wt as you need the rod to have the back bone to control the fish, as there are tons of cress and elodea beds, tree roots, etc and some bruisers (not that I catch bruisers there!). I think a 8' 4wt is very versatile.

Fishing those central PA streams you mentioned, an 8' 4wt would be ideal. If you start fishing some bigger water or rivers I'd add a 9' 5 or 6wt to the mix.

A 9' gives you extra reach when nymph fishing.

Living in Central PA, I use my 9' 5wt. a vast majority of the time.

For example, Honey Creek, which is about 20 feet wide and cover along the backs, I have no problem casting, but the extra reach leads to more fish.

jdaddy wrote:
It's not a place that one could likely get a great deal of success with a 1wt as you need the rod to have the back bone to control the fish, as there are tons of cress and elodea beds, tree roots, etc and some bruisers (not that I catch bruisers there!). I think a 8' 4wt is very versatile.

You'll pry this 1wt out of my cold, dead fingers. That is, unless you offer me a Sage TXL 000, first, then its yours with a smile.

I'd relish the chance for a big, healthy fish on the end of it. Side pressure, full flex, and the same tippet I use on a 4wt, y'know?

Maybe if I get a chance this week I'll hit up the LL and try to take a hatchery slob out of the kiddie pool?

Oh, and...

jdaddy wrote:
We could remedy that issue.

No wonder HA thinks there's something going on here, but I don't want to get between you and Jay (hopefully I can deflect this subthread by throwing JayL under the bus).

My God man, I am just tying to get you out on the Letort! Deflect? You brought it up (again).

Agree that a bruiser on LL with the 1wt would be a blast. It would be a problem on the Letort due to stream hazards. CV limestoners just aint the same as LV limestoners (that I have experienced). CV streams are weed and root chocked.

Springy rods are more fun, I wouldn't want a fast broomstick regardless of its weight.

Gfen, I can relate to your excitement on catching a decent fish on your 1 wt. Last week I fished "Spring Creek" with my St. Croix Avid 7'6" 2 wt. Got into a nice Brown and brought him to the net. Measured him at 17". What a thrill!! I love ultralight flyfishing! Back to the original question. I would think an 8' 4wt. would work for all but the bigger streams and rivers.

I'm going to break the convention and say........

8'6'' 6wt!

It's small enough to fish most small tight streams. It's big enough to fish small still water situations. And it's big enough to take to places that are a little larger, ie Upper Delaware & Salmon River.

That will give you a good start. I started stream FFing for trout this year and bought a 6wt and have been very pleased. Now keep in mind I'm buying an 8wt 9ft for Salmon and Bass and a 7'6'' 3wt for small streams.

Here's the thing w/ Fly Fishing. Ask 3 different people and you'll get 4 different answers.

The best thing would be to try a few out. Go to a fly shop and cast some rods to get an idea.

Thanks so much for the replies. Everyone here has such good insights and information. I love reading the forum and I got a good idea of the length and weight of rod, so now I will just have to try a few and make my decision. Thanks for the help gents.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I received my Diamondback Americana 8ft 5wt rod in the mail a few days ago. Got it for a 30% off which kept me well within budget and kept the wife happy. Also, just received my Chota Abrams Creek II waders which I found a nearly 50% off deal online.

I am slowly building up my equipment from my long absence from fishing and being in the states. I am shooting for a western NC trip after the near year as I slowly buy gear as long as the wife can be suckered. Next step is a good deal on a reel. Thanks for all the help. Love this forum.

Back