Rod setup for Steelhead

brandozer317

brandozer317

I am looking to get a setup for fishing steelhead in the Erie tribs. My question for all those that are experienced: what is your preferred weight and length. I am stuck between 6-8 wt and 9-10ft rods.

Thanks in advance!

I use a 10' 7 wt., but I fish NY bigger tribs more. You can get away with a 6 wt in Erie and a 9 or 10' rod. Just make sure your reel has a good drag. I like Lamson reels' drag system. All their reels use the same drag.

If I had to start from scratch and buy a rod specifically for Erie tribs it may well be a 10ft 6wt. The fact of the mater is that you will be fishing pretty much standard nymph rigs on what amount to small to medium sized creeks for the most part. A 6wt rod (and line) is well suited to that sort of fishing and is still stout enough fight and land lake run fish. Truth be told, a 4 or 5wt rod would be sufficient for the actual casting and mending you will be doing most of the time, but I digress. As for length, a 10ft rod is well suited to fishing indicator rigs and will help out on bigger water if you start exploring NY and OH.

When I first started fishing the tribs I got myself an 8wt. Then I realized that it was too much rod for flipping nymph rigs around all day. So i bought a 7wt. After a couple years I decided that too was overkill. I finally settled on a 6wt and never looked back. Some guys will tell you that you need a 7wt or even an 8wt to *handle* steelhead. I have not found that to be the case and have saved my casting arm in the process. I *handle* steelhead by rarely fishing smaller than 3x tippet.

PennKev is spot on on this one. A 6wt is my choice for the Eire tribs as well. Get a decent reel and line you are good to go.

Now back to my soapbox - get sunglasses they are more important than the rod. I would rather have a zebco snoopy rod and sunglasses than a new Helios and no sunglasses.

I'll 2nd that the advice that PennKev is offering is some good advice on the 6wt.

I use a 10 ft 5wt Orvis Access fly rod for Erie PA tribs and it works fine but i'd prefer the 10ft 6wt if i had a choice.

I have used both a 10' 7wt and 10 ft 8wt and find them both overkill on Erie steelhead tribs for both the size of the tribs and the size of the fish.

There is, of course, lots of nuances to that feeling that 6 is enough. I assume you're talking open water with no current and that the power is at the tip. And that it is Graphite of course.
I really appreciated these postings as I usually over-do-it and regret later.

10' 7wt will do the trick and you can use it other places too

I fish a 10' 6wt (bamboo I made back in 05) for browns and steelhead. I try not to fish for salmon with it but usually end up hooking a few, it will handle them but puts too much stress on the rod for my liking. I'm making 2 8'10" 8wts to cover them and other big fish and going to gift the other to a friend for Christmas.

10' rod is key for reach and line control. I also like it because it's 1 foot less I have to wade in the water when it's freezing out lol.

Erie fish, in comparison, aren't that big to the other great lakes. I'm with Kev that a 10' 6 or even a 5 weight is just fine there. So if you're looking for a dedicated Erie rod then thats the one.
For NY or MI, then I would go with a 10' 7 or 8 weight. Those fish are bigger and meaner and you may tangle with a salmon here and there.
I also prefer a more medium aciton to my steelhead rigs. You tend to use light tippets at time and that will help protect them and prevent break offs compared to a fast action rod.

2nd the recommendation for GOOD polarized sunglasses. Especially steelhead, but its true for most fishing.

$100 rod and $250 sunglasses will outfish a $330 rod and $20 sunglasses.

But to answer the question, I use a 10 ft 7 wt. Yeah, a 6 wt is probably ideal, and a 5 wt is doable. The length helps a lot though. Streams are open, and drift is everything.

Back