Rod Setup, Favorite Sizes

FlyMaster99

FlyMaster99

What do you guys think about rod length and weight for fishing around central pa in the decent sized streams, approximately 10-15 yards from one side to another, I have a 5 weight 8' rod and a 4 weight 7 1/2' rod. Which of these two would you prefer, include if you would recommend another size.

Out of those two rods, I'd use the 8' 5wt for this time of year. I would use the 4wt if I was fishing dries or emergers.

Either of those will work fine. A little wind or bigger flies, the 5 weight will do better but the 4 weight will be more fun playing fish or in low water.

I'm at opposite ends of the spectrum. 9' 5wt or 7'6" 3wt. Each has its own time to shine.

Been doing more nymphing than anything, so the 10 footer has been my go to, followed up by the 9 ft 5 wt. But when I have the chance I really love to get my 7 1/2 ft 4 wt out.

My two go to rods are a 9'6 5 wt and a 9' 4 wt.

go to 8 foot 3 weight. if its bigger stream 9 foot 3 weight

For me, "favorite" and "most used" are two different things, but since only one of the two was represented on the list, it makes it a bit easier.

"Favorite" is probably my 6'9" 1wt.

"Most used", for the last few years has been a 9' 4wt. It's a great all-purpose rod capable of anything from dries and midges to small articulated, or medium-sized single hook streamers on a sinking leader.

In PA's waters, it's suitable, with proper tippet, for just about everything that swims, outside of large carp, Erie steel, stripers, and musky.

I use two equally:
A 9' 5wt. For normal streams, and
A 7.5' 4wt. For smaller streams.

However, if I still lived in Lycoming County my most rod used would be a 6'6" 2 wt..

The standard, for good reason, on said streams is a 9' 5 wt for an all 'round, do it all type thing. That's assuming you're talking about graphite sticks. A 9' boo stick is very heavy indeed.

If you are primarily a nympher, maybe a touch longer. If you intend to maybe take it on smaller streams once in a while but don't want to buy a separate rod dedicated to that, a touch shorter.

If you're mostly gonna throw dries or small nymphs and rarely if ever throw streamers or heavily weighted nymph rigs, then opt for a 4 wt instead. If you want it to double as an ok bass rod and be able to handle a once in a blue moon steelhead trip, opt for a 6 wt instead.

And for what it's worth, if I had a different rod for each of the big 4 in central PA (Spring, BFC, Penns, LJR), I'd have 4 wt for Spring, a 5 wt for BFC, and a 6 wt for Penns and the LJR. But a reasonably powerful 5 wt covers them all just fine.

Back