Rod Review - Aleka A6 9ft 8wt

elonDO

While at The Fly Fishing Show at Lancaster, I was drawn to the Aleka Fly Rod stand. After walking by the stand both Saturday & Sunday, I decided to take a chance on the Aleka A6 9ft 8wt on Sunday afternoon as a possible back-up rod for a bonefishing trip in North Andros 5/3-5/10/14. The salesman had great things to say about the rod & had support comparing it to the Sage XP. The price was right at $150, the rod was light with a moderate-fast action, and lifetime warranty, plus rod tube. So I thought I would give it a try.

I will say I have been fishing primarily TFO TiCrX and Clouser 8wt models to this point for bass and steelhead. I got to North Andros 5/3/14 and started fishing 5/4/14. I used my TFO Clouser rod the first day, but seemed to struggle. I had lawn casted the Aleka A6 and loved how if felt, so I thought I would give it a go 5/5/14 and am I ever glad I did. The rod never left my hand the rest of the week and the TFO stayed in the boat as a back-up.

The Aleka A6 was extremely light. I was able to compare it side-by-side to a friends Sage One and they felt fairly comparable. The A6 weighs in at 3.91 oz (per their website), while the Sage One weighs in at 3.5 oz (per Sage website). The A6 has a moderate-fast action and handled the wind on the Andros Flats quite well. I had it matched with a 9wt Orvis Bonefish Line (that I also picked up at the Fly Fishing Show on deep discount). I started the week with the spooled on a Redington Rise 7/8, but later put it on my Lamson Velocity 3.5x reel. The rod was balanced well by both and loaded great with the Orvis Bonefish line.

The rod helped me land over 30 fish during the week. It was highly responsive and a pleasure to fish. At this point I think my Aleka A6 will by my go-to for bass and likely steelhead as well. I still love my TFO rods, but I was HIGHLY IMPRESSED by the Aleka Rod and glad I took the chance. If anybody is looking for a great rod at a great price, you should check them out. Here is the website. Will have report of the trip to follow soon!

Aleka A6 9ft 8wt Fly Rod

Back