Rod/Reel suggestions

jifigz

jifigz

Being a fishing addict since I was a little kid and chasing any kind of fish (mainly SMB) all over the place with my spinning and baitcasting tackle I decided it is time to take up fly fishing. I was able to get a Bass Pro in house brand White River Dogwood Canyon outfit, some of their flies, and a fly while only paying about $25 since I used Rewards points from my BPS credit card. Anyways, I'm addicted. I threw some Rio Mainstream line on it and I can cast it very well and have been crushing plenty of trout in local Class A waters. It is a 9' 6 weight that I bought to kind of cover "all of my bases," so to speak.

I would like a shorter rod with a lighter line weight for the trout and hiking into small mountain streams for some native brookies. What are people's suggestions? I am rather poor but am willing to save. I was looking at LL Bean's Double L outfits and they seem fair and people seem pleased. Those would run me about $170 for the combo. I would kind of like to get an Orvis Access rod and the Orvis reel, but all together that would cost me about $600, so saving would definitely be in store for a while. Maybe something from Redington would work as well. Anyways, what does everyone here suggest for a rather budget friendly 3 or 4 weight setup?

BTW, the White River Dogwood Canyon is an amazing combo for only $100 as far as I can tell. I can cast it far, rod seems decent, and the Rio line made a big difference. I could just go with anoter lighter weight combo as the same thing I already have. They are on sale right now for only $80 and I have Rewards points to use again, but I would like to sample the field and see what something of slightly higher quality casts and feels like.
Thanks everybody.

The Orvis Clearwater combo is popular and gets good reviews.

3¼ oz. 9', 4-piece, Fly Rod for 5-wt. line.

It's $316 and on sale for $295 but I realize you may need time to get the money together.

I'm assuming they would sell you the combo with a shorter 4 wt rod.

4Y05VF4reel.jpg

Maybe something from Redington would work as well.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy Redington. You are probably going to get more bang for your buck with Redington than low end Orvis, Sage etc.

Kev

Redington Crosswater outfits are pretty good and quite affordable.

sierratradingtonpost.com has Grey's GS 8' 4 wt for $69. Cabelas has their wind river reel for $20. They have a bunch of lines and reels on sale. They must be updating the products and clearancing the old models

As I was told last year, don't go high dollar for a rod and reel that you'll take bushwacking. Too much chance fir breakage. I picked up a 7'6" 3 weight Cabela's Three Forks combo and it's fine. I won't be out more than 80 dollars if it snaps in the woods.

PennKev wrote:
Maybe something from Redington would work as well.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy Redington. You are probably going to get more bang for your buck with Redington than low end Orvis, Sage etc.

Kev

An 8' 4wt "Classic Trout," and you could likely use the same reel or just buy the cheapest one in the shop that balances it and you'll be fine.

Failing that, I wouldn't think twice about buying a low cost BPS or Cabela's rod. They don't have the same appeal as "real" brand, perhaps, but they generally work every bit as fine (and probably come out of the same factory, anyways).

Back