Rod/reel recommendations?

fishingkidPA

fishingkidPA

Well ive been fly fishing for a year now and really enjoy it, and maybe its time for an uprgade. Its usually the only way i fish for trout, hooked into a couple big fish last year including a 19" rainbow. But... i really only fly fish in the spring/early summer because i usually only fish for trout with it...and since i dont live in the mountains streams don't hold fish long. i do bring it up to slippery rock and do some SM fishing though in the summer.

i mostly do bass fishing with artificial and what not on a baitcasting reel/rod. I dont know all that much about what action, length, and weight i will need for this rod. Also, should i get a combo, or just by a rod? atleast in bass fishing to me i would rather have a more sensitive rod and one that loads better than a nice reel. so i could just take my reel off my beginner combo.

I have a 5wt 8ft. It seems to do everything decently. For trout i mostly use small streamers and dries, never really tried nymphing. i think ill still go with a 5wt again. i dont know what length it should be, or action? since i mostly fish streams that are no deeper than 5ft. What kind of fly line should i put on this?

Sorry about all the questions but hopefully some of you guys will be able to help me out here on the length and action for the fishing i do.

i was looking at these- but i'm open to any suggestions. trying to keep the price near $150

thanks

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-HDT-Series-Fly-Rod/1167514.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D5102797%26Ne%3D5102797%26No%3D0%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dfly%2Bfishing%26Ntx%3Dmode%252Bmatchallpartial%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26WTz_st%3D%26WTz_stype%3DSP%26form_state%3DsearchForm%26search%3Dfly%2Bfishing%26searchTypeByFilter%3DAllProducts%26x%3D0%26y%3D0&Ntt=fly+fishing&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Ross-Worldwide-Reels-Essence-FC-Fly-Rods/711202.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D5102797%26Ne%3D5102797%26No%3D0%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dfly%2Bfishing%26Ntx%3Dmode%252Bmatchallpartial%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26WTz_st%3D%26WTz_stype%3DSP%26form_state%3DsearchForm%26search%3Dfly%2Bfishing%26searchTypeByFilter%3DAllProducts%26x%3D0%26y%3D0&Ntt=fly+fishing&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

fishingkid, i'd recommend researching the reel you currently have to see if it accomodates other line sizes to see if you can match it to a different weight rod. It's not worth getting an expensive/nice reel if you're just fishing for trout and smb's, neither of which neccesitate an expensive reel imo. you can always put the money you save on the reel towards a better rod or a spare spool with a different line. I don't see any reason to buy another rod of the same weight and then have two rods of the same weight-diversify a little. I'd try to get a 9' 6wt. That will be good for most smb and be a good all purpose trout rod. If you can afford a spare spool/another line and you like throwing streamers i'd suggest you try a sinking line. If you fish moving waters get a sink tip. if you fish mostly stillwaters get a full sinking line, probably intermediate.
As far as the two rods you have in your post i'd definetly go with the ross. I bought a friend of mine who wanted to get into FF the ross flystart 8'6 5wt as a bday gift and was very impressed. I've heard that cabelas rod has some problems. It all boils down to what you like though, if you can test cast some rods you probably want to try before you buy. Tight lines fishingkid!

Tell ya what fishingkidPA. My buddy got his son a new Wright & McGrill Gen II S-Curve 9' 5wt for Christmas, and I got a chance to cast it... really a nice rod. Especially with a price of $100. You could probably hunt around a find one on sale. Apparently ****'s Sporting Goods is going to handle them. You could spend the other $50 of your $150 on a reel. Of course, you'll still need fly line, leader... etc.

Anyhow, it takes a bit to get over the rubberized grip, and the wild paint scheme, but it seems like a fine rod... sure casts nice.

Wright & McGill Gen II Fly Rod

For the type of water you are fishing, I would stick with a good floating line... DT or WF. The 5wt is a good all around choice. An 8', 8'6", or a 9' are all good lengths. You have to consider the streams you fish. If they are small, and have a lot of overhanging tree branches and such, an 8' rod might be a better choice. If the streams are a little more open, the 8'6" and 9' rods are a great choice.

Good luck, and keep at it.

Back