rod/reel case recommendations

trowpa

trowpa

I'm looking for options here. I do a lot of short trips (15 minutes or less) and I am usually lazy and in a rush to fish, so I hate to tear down / re-rig. I know that is the safest for transporting my gear, but if I am honest with myself, I know i will rarely use the rod tubes I have to transport my gear.

Often I break my rod down to two pieces, still rigged and just lay it on a blanket in my car. That is not so safe and with passengers sometimes not possible.

I'm looking at the combo rod tube/reel cases that allow you to store rigged rods. Just looking for recommendations on what works. Either looking for two individual cases, or a single case that holds at least 2 rods/reels. Are they all the same? or do some work better than others for ease of use / protection?

Thanks!

Shouldn't have bought that vette, not nearly enough room to lay that Sage out...

Anyways, roof rack. Cruise eBay or craigslist for a set of towers amd bars, then buy the clips/pads from nestors.

Add a seed ski or snowboard holderlr and your 100% set.

Ahhh yes - I use the ski roof rack method on the minivan for my surf rods. Works well for trips to AI. Never considered it for the fly rods...

Still - I don't plan on putting a roof rack on the honda fit..i think it may just tip over ;) Also.. that won't help me when i'm jumping in a friends car carpooling to the stream.

Are you thinking of some thing like this?

Link

I use a case like that and keep my gear rigged up no problem.

Yes - something like that. Single, or double variety. I see a variety of them at all price points from $30 - 100. Just wondering if they are all the same or if some have more room, better protection, better design etc.

trowpa wrote:
Ahhh yes - I use the ski roof rack method on the minivan for my surf rods. Works well for trips to AI. Never considered it for the fly rods...

Still - I don't plan on putting a roof rack on the honda fit..i think it may just tip over ;) Also.. that won't help me when i'm jumping in a friends car carpooling to the stream.

AI?

My brother-in-law uses his like that all the time, and I've thought long and hard about picking up a ski rack for my car. The major difference, he's got a longer 4Runner, so there's more room between the bars than I've got if I leave 'em rigged as one.

FWIW, I was surprised when I parked the Helement next to a first gen Fit, the E wasn't really that much bigger. I'm blown away by how big compact cars are, or how compact the Element actually is.

As to those cases Bassitjon had, I thought you meant a one piece case, not something you could just break the rod into two and slide it into.

I've got two, one Cabela's brand, and one from ****'s. They're the same thing, as far as I'm concerned. Buy the one you find on sale.

Gfen - cool. - i plan on breaking the rods down in two, but leaving the lines rigged. I'll take a look at ****s since its closer than cabelas....

And AI = Assateague Island.

Either that, or next time we meet ask me to toss one in the car for you to eyeball.

Depending on how Saturday breaks down, I might have Sunday to kill on the Lehigh for smallies.

Pssssst. Try this one.

Isn't your birthday coming up? :cool:

Thanks HA. And why yes...yes it is. Aug 24th.

You Beanies have spin-rod cases? I want someting to carry my switch with reel attached, although I imagine it won't have a 3 section compartment...

Bah.

For Cheap, Walmart has a S-A case for under $20.

I too have the Cabela's double case and love it. I keep my rod rigged up at all times in the case. To prevent the hooks from sticking in the material on the inside of the case, causing a big mess, use 1/4" foam chuncks and slide them over the hook points.

I use the foam I bought from a craft store that I use for hoppers, I use it as a drying rack for flies on my vise stem, and I cut small squares to impale hooks while riding in the car to keep them from getting stuck in the carpet or case.

Any ideas for a makeshift reel pouch that will keep my loved one(s) safe.?

GG suggested crown royal bags a while back.

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=14411&forum=7

I actually just filled a sun glasses pouch type thing with a bit of cut out sheet. Im only putting a spare spool with 3 weight in it so it works out when Im out wishing and then just do the same with my reel itself.

Back