Rod rack ideas

C

ColdBore

I have a "few" (too many....) rods, mostly leaning in corners in their tubes.

I'd like to come up with a better system, so I'm looking for ideas.

For those that do a better job of organizing than my system, what do you use for storage? Do you prefer vertical or horizontal? I'm looking for a way to store rods in their tubes, not display the rods themselves.

I have a well equipped wood shop, and am always looking for another project.

Does anybody have pictures of what they use, to give me ideas to formulate a set of plans?

I don't use a rod rack so my wife can't count. ;-)

Instead, I store my rod tubes in long zippered bags which is far from an ideal solution, but it makes it easy to add to the collection in secrecy plus I can use the bags to transport the rods.

However, I have seen some cool rod rocks made out of old tables and such by just drilling the appropriate holes through them and a great idea using old wooden Coke & Pepsi cases used for the old 10 oz. returnable glass bottles.

Some pictures can be found in this thread, including the Coke & Pepsi idea.

Bamboozle wrote:

Instead, I store my rod tubes in long zippered bags which is far from an ideal solution, but it makes it easy to add to the collection in secrecy...

Sssshhhh..... Here's a secret.

Your wife is secretly hiding her purses and jewelry behind your rod bags. ;-) :lol:

Bamboozle wrote:

However, I have seen some cool rod rocks made out of old tables and such by just drilling the appropriate holes through them and a great idea using old wooden Coke & Pepsi cases used for the old 10 oz. returnable glass bottles.

Some pictures can be found in this thread, including the Coke & Pepsi idea.

Thanks for the link!

The corner rack looks just about perfect. The more common lengthwise rack is nice though I'd build it slightly different to hold tubes not bare rods. Of course the old Coke crate is cool, I could do something like that with some rough cut it some old barn wood.

Any others?

Attachments

• bUOQopR.jpg
    bUOQopR.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 3
  • RM5HWTJ.jpg
    RM5HWTJ.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Rod_Rack.jpg
    Rod_Rack.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 2
ColdBore wrote:
Bamboozle wrote:

Instead, I store my rod tubes in long zippered bags which is far from an ideal solution, but it makes it easy to add to the collection in secrecy...

Sssshhhh..... Here's a secret.

Your wife is secretly hiding her purses and jewelry behind your rod bags. ;-) :lol:
Sssshhhh..... Here's another secret...

I'm also hiding new guns, new reels and a bunch of other stuff that is WAY more expensive than purses & jewelry so I moved her stuff out of the way 'cause I needed the room. ;-)

This company makes some interesting racks : https://niceflyrodrack.com

Vaughn wrote:

This company makes some interesting racks : https://niceflyrodrack.com

Nice, but dang!

$390 to over $500 for a simple tube rack?

And $500 to $640 if you want a drawer??

They give me some good ideas, but they're pretty basic designs for that kind of money if somebody is going to buy one. I'm glad that I can build my own.

I too need some rod storage.

I think I might just mimic what the stores do. They pack as many rods in a tiny space as they can.
The only problem I see is ceiling height.

I know you said in their cases but thought this was a cool idea as well.

Attachments

• Rod Rack 1.jpg
    Rod Rack 1.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 3
I like that ideal of the cantilever look. I was thinking of making a rack for my garage so its easy for anyone to grab on and go. I want to put it high enough that vehicles and people walking by can't run into them. However, the higher I put it the less I can store because they still need to be within reach. This solves this problem.

I use a blue print tube rack. They're available from engineering supply and office supply places.
Mine is wire and holds 20 tubes. I think I paid about $50.

That's a very practical idea, but I enjoy woodworking, so plan on building something.

Back