Rod length and Reach

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Attached article discusses the amount of reach achieved for different length rods used for tightline nymphing. I was a little surprised that the difference is small, like a foot or two at best, but every little bit helps, I suppose. My choice is a 10' rod for all trout fishing in medium to larger streams. But, as I have posted many times, don't not try tightline nymphing because you do not have a longer rod. The standard 9 footer will work just fine.

https://www.tacticalflyfisher.com/blog/rod-length-and-reach-a-trigonometry-perspective/?fbclid=IwAR12NOZaSi5hrC4T2IfvZs2gxsvm3-tIfzzc0fC_0iybsdhyiqTI0waRFXc

I couldn’t agree more with your last point. I tried tight line nymphing For the first time on Monday. I used my regular 9 foot five weight and all of my regular nymph patterns. The only thing I bought was a RIO euro nymph leader. I had an absolutely awesome day. I netted easily over 20 fish and found it much more effective than my usual indicator nymphing. I felt like I was able to fish holes and runs more completely. It was the first time I ever tried it! Zero instruction other than a YouTube video. It certainly took some getting used to but I was picking it up pretty good by the end of the day.

Don’t be afraid to try it out! Can’t believe what I’ve been missing. For the first time I’m looking forward to spending the day nymphing!

Sometimes I think we convince our selves that we need all this special gear and way over complicate a relatively simple concept.

100% you do not need to buy new gear to get into it. Try it and see if you like it and if you really like it then invest in some specific gear like a 10' 3wt and some level line and other junk. I've switched over to using it exclusively for nymphing watersheds like Spring.

Also it doesn't take much skill or knowledge at all to pick up and do well on either. The blog posted is a really good source of info too.

All my Steelhead rods are ten footers and I really enjoy the extra length at times. But the added length benefit is somewhat offset by all the problems a 10' rod brings around trees and brush.

I tightline bugs all the time on Pa's trout streams and I have settled on an 8'6" rod being the perfect length for me. Sure there are times I wish I had a longer rod, but the low branched trees and shrubs provide a constant reminder that an 8 1/2 footer is best for me.

I picked uo a 10' Orvis recon last year and had a friend who is a Euro guru fish with me for a day. mazing how many more fish I have been catching. I like the longer length even in cover.

How do you like that Recon? I’m kicking around the idea of having a designated nymphing rod and then keeping my 5wt rigged for dry fly fishing. I might try carrying two rods this year. Most streams I fish I think it would be doable.

It would be nice to work a hole with a dry rig and then nymph without changing leaders and flies.

That recon seems like it’s come down in price and I already have a few reels I think I could find one that works on it.

Well, I guess I don't fit in here. Though I use an 8.5 rod and a 9.0-footer on larger streams, I really like a little 7-footer for small to medium streams. I like even better a 6.6-foot rod I have for dry-fly fishing on small mountain streams and medium-size creeks.

I don't imagine I'm as good a nymph fisherman as many of you. But, those small rods are a real pleasure to use.

rrt, don't worry, I generally fish a 7.5 or 8.5 foot 4 weight for trout. And, as many of you've pointed out, no special equipment required. I can tightline with my 7.5 footer as well. All tactics have there place. Some water types are better suited to indicator nymphing and others are better suited to tightlining.

Still waiting for the ladies of PAFF to weigh in on this one...

1hook wrote:
How do you like that Recon? I’m kicking around the idea of having a designated nymphing rod and then keeping my 5wt rigged for dry fly fishing. I might try carrying two rods this year. Most streams I fish I think it would be doable.

It would be nice to work a hole with a dry rig and then nymph without changing leaders and flies.

That recon seems like it’s come down in price and I already have a few reels I think I could find one that works on it.

I do almost exactly what you're talking about except I usually don't bring the dry fly rod unless I know a hatch might happen. Even then I sometimes don't ever go for it because with your euro rod you can fish a dry dropper and you can even grease the sighter with payette paste so it floats and treat it just as fly line then.

My brother has a Recon and I have a syndicate both in 10' 3wt. If you can find a recon at 40% off or even 30 get it. It's a fantastic rod at a great price and is def better than my syndicate.

Here's a link discussing leader formulas and how you can rig your euro rod for other setups.

https://www.tacticalflyfisher.com/blog/creating-a-modular-euronymphing-leader/

rrt wrote:
Well, I guess I don't fit in here.... But, those small rods are a real pleasure to use.

I'll second this. ^

While I agree with the efficacy of long rods for nymphing - I use 'em from time to time and all mono systems too - I'll always be attached to my short fly rods.

A tiny fly rod is a pleasure to build, cast and behold. There's an aesthetic quality to it that is tough to explain.

So, knock yourself out with your 11' 3WT. I think I'll fish my 5' 4WT next time I'm out on the water... just to be contrary.

(Yeah, I know you'll out-fish me.... just wait till we get in the rhodo.) :)

Back