rod issues, grip loose?

mystillwater

mystillwater

i was casting my Sage Fli 6wt from my kayak into the wind for the 3rd or 4th time in two weeks and i noticed the guides were sticking out the side of my rod. i thought possibly my blank had spun at the joint but nope, the first guide is on the bottom section of rod (2-piece) and sure enough, it's about 30 degrees off of where it's supposed to be. the wraps are not loose or broken. it seems the grip has begun to spin around. it doesn't seem to be loose.

what can i do to fix this? i don't have any rod fixing/building experience but am willing to get my hands dirty. if it's extremely techical though, i may try to send the rod back to Sage for repair.

The grip has likely come loose as you described. The best thing to do is send it back to sage for repair. The cause is either that the grip was too tight fitting when being installed(this squeegees the epoxy off the rod when the handle is beind slid into position) or the surface wasn't prepped before the glue was applied. If I was going to do this type of repair I would strip off the handle and replace with a new one. Time consuming but done right. If it is covered by warranty send it back.

Back