Rod Identification

W

wsender

My father gave me his old fly rod. I believe it might have been even his father rod. It's on descent shape, just needs a new eye job. I was wondering if anyone had any information about this rod, ie. what weight line, material, value. I'm pretty sure it's about 9ft.

If you want me to take anymore photos, let me know. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0046.jpg
    IMG_0046.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0048.jpg
    IMG_0048.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 4
type in Conolon fly rod into Google, looks like it was a company that now is owned by Abu Garcia. I can't read what it says underneath conolon

You may try posting this here.. Good Luck!

http://fiberglassflyrodders.yuku.com/

Does it have any other markings on it? Line may be designated in the older letter system rather than numeric weight. For example HGH or H, etc. Without that info I would probably guess it was somewhere in the 6-8wt range. Heavy line weights were pretty typical for trout rods when these rods were produced. I'm no expert on Conolon rods, but I'm guessing it is from the 50's. Garcia took over Conolon sometime around 1960 and the rods were then marked Garcia Conolon for many years.

As for value, if it was in complete, decent, fishable condition and I liked it... ....maybe around $30-35. Sometimes they go for a little more on ebay if in very good condition and circumstances are right. The Garcia Conolons seem to have more favor amongst collectors and fishers of glass and the prices reflect it. However, the $$$ value is still fairly low in most cases.

Kev

being 9ft, probably a 7 or 8 wt. be a good steelhead or bass rod, try a bunch of different lines on it, both dt and wf, glass is very forgiving and will cast a variety of line wts, just have to find the one you like best.
it would match up nice with a vintage medalist 1495!

Thanks for input everyone.

The word below Conolon is 'Missilite'. The rod is in some serious need of love. It needs all new eyes, and if I'm gonna have it in the shop, I might as well change the reel seat.

Can anyone recommend a good rod repair-person/restorer?

I could do the work, but I'm not exactly local to you, maybe someone else on here is closer to you.
send me a pm if you're interested in me working on it.
i'm actually working on one of my own right now, an 8 wt true temper glass, decent shape, but I'm putting a removable fighting but on it.
you should cast it first and make sure everything is sound with the rod. I had a rod that looked fine when I bought it, but broke in half on the first cast due to a tiny crack I couldn't even see.
also, lots of builders on the fiberglass board, might be someone near you from there. careful though, it's a very contagious disease!

Sandflys rod builder could redo it for you. he does excellant work. and not bad on price.

Back