Rod handle in need of repair.

jreichel

jreichel

I have a reel seat in need of repair. I was attaching the reel to it and the cork started separating. Can I just remove the butt and shoot some sort of epoxy into it and put it back on or should I take it to a repair shop? If the repair shop is the way to go can someone please recommend one near me? I am located in Meadville, Crawford County.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• C967E55D-4F94-4D75-B16F-1C8505B8D89A.jpeg
    C967E55D-4F94-4D75-B16F-1C8505B8D89A.jpeg
    134.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 476CD9B7-2DCD-4B5F-9BD9-7C0DB66C2B51.jpeg
    476CD9B7-2DCD-4B5F-9BD9-7C0DB66C2B51.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 3
Whats the actual problem? Is the grip moving forward or is the hardware loose and falling off the rod? If the hardware is loose stick it in boiling water for a little bit. This should soften up any remaining epoxy and will allow you to completely remove it. Then get a 2 part epoxy and reinstall it. If the cork just broke away I'd just get some indoor outdoor wood filler and fill in the gap. I'd still probably fill the hole in somewhat with some epoxy. If the entire cork grip is coming loose I'd maybe take it to a professional.

The hardware is falling off. I can push it back up and it looks fine but won’t hold a reel. I was thinking of taking it apart a reinstalling it but wanted to make sure that was the way to go since I have never done anything like that.

Yeah thats an easy fix. If you can find some 2 part paste epoxy that would be best but basically any epoxy will do.

The 2 part epoxy is the way to go. I prefer the 5 minute. Joe E

Back