Rod for brookies

F

Floggingtrout

In the past have only fished big water with st Croix 5wt. Also have 4 wt bamboo. Looking for opinions on a good wt and size rod for mountain freestone. Also entertaining tenkana rod. Seems you guys fish for the brookies a lot, any advice much appreciated. Also opinions on glass rod? Family commitments may limit multiple day trips to big water. Looking to get at it soon. Tight lines and wet hands!

You will likely get a lot of different answers. I'll provide 2 or 3.

I used to use a very cheap Cortland rod outfit for this and liked it. It was a 4 wt, and either 6' or 6'5" in length.

Some people prefer longer rods for this, I like shorter. I only bought it because I was staying at temporary housing with a lake in the back yard. My fishing gear was all in storage, and no way was I going to not fish.

Went to a Walmart (I think), and figured it would work until I get my other stuff back. After moving back north, I used it quite a bit for small streams until I eventually gave it away.

Years ago I had a conversation about small streams with a guy who used to post here frequently.

While I was using my $30 Cortland outfit (included a line and some flies), he preferred his 9' Winston and we fished a lot of the same streams.

There are advantages and disadvantages with both. I'm tall and preferred a shorter rod for small streams. I found it easier where I had to crawl through brush. The other guy wasn't nearly as tall, and preferred the longer rod for the extra reach.

Eventually I switched to using a 8' St. Croix 5/6 wt for all the abusive stuff.

you already have a 4wt bamboo. that's the rod i would use.

I built a 6'6" 2wt that I love for brookie fishing. It was a batson RX6 blank that was only $20. I definitely don't have a lot of money in the build. I did however modify the rod so the first guide towards the handle sits closer to the handle then most rods. I found myself reaching so much and it gets hard to grab hold of the line. I also realized that on a few brookie streams I can get away with a longer rod. It makes it easier to reach over riffles and runs to get to pockets. I built a 7'9" 3wt for that in the same type of blank as the other rod. Very cheap builds. You do not need anything special thats for sure with brookie fishing. I'd never spend a ton of money on a rod and reel for this kind of often combat fishing.

9 out of 10 time I fish with a 7’6” 2 or 3 weight. It’s length is just long enough to dap, but short enough to make a tight cast and maneuver easily through brush.

Your 4wt bamboo would be great for brookies.

shakey wrote:
you already have a 4wt bamboo. that's the rod i would use.

Yea, me too, depending on the length.

I also used to use a 4WT bamboo, but can't remember the length. It was custom (by me) and I think about 7'9." It is the real reason I gave away the short rod.

Unfortunately I broke it, so I started using the St. Croix.

One of these days, I'll fix the bamboo rod and bring it off of injured reserves.

A 7 1/2 ft 4 wt medium fast action graphite rod is very good for this type of fishing.

troutbert wrote:
A 7 1/2 ft 4 wt medium fast action graphite rod is very good for this type of fishing.

+1

This is a good configuration for a general purpose smaller water rod regardless of rod material.

I use a 4 weight for my brookie fishing. Either my 7.5 or 8.5 foot. Occasionally I'll grab my Eagle Claw featherlight and use that as well. For brookie fishing nearly any rod will do.

John:

I built the same 6'"6 two weight. Unlike you, I did not move the first guide closer to the reel seat. I rarely use it.

You made the right call ...

Though I don't own one in those specific parameters, I agree a 7'6 4wt, middle of the road med/fast action, is probably the overall best compromise, or "jack of all trades" Brookie rod.

I have two Brookie rods currently:

6'11 4wt - LLBean Streamlight - My favorite, but it's a 2 piece.

7'6 3wt - Redington CT - 4 piece, use it for backpacking, long hikes in. Fine for 95% of most normal Brookie fishing, but the Bean beats it performance wise across the board. It struggles if I want to use a small streamer, or if you get a long open pool that requires a long cast it starts to run out of power before the Bean.

Just made a deal on a 7'9 5wt - Orvis Clearwater II. Picking it up next weekend. For fishing small weighted streamers in those holes on Brookie streams that sometimes have a "big" Brown in them. The extra reach and heavier line rating and taper to the rod should help with this.

Edit - I should add...I don't think it's wise (or necessary) to spend a whole lot on a Brookie rod. These things get beat up, and frankly, I think the more they get used, the better they look and the more I like them. A brand new Brookie rod looks out of place...like offroading down a brush lined trail in a shiny, brand new $75k luxury trimmed truck. I paid $100ish for all three of those rods. The Bean and the Redington were new, but on sale, and the Orvis was used. As others have pointed out, you can spend even less than that on a good serviceable Brookie rod.

My brookie stream rod is the best of all time,IMO.

It's a 7-piece 7' 4wt (March Brown Hidden Waters Convertible travel rod > not made anymore). It's a moderate/fast rod that fits in a tube slightly long than 12" and fits into my sling pack along with my BK reel. The rod also can be converted to a 6' rod by omitting the second section. It works great. For wading I have my hunting / hiking boots from Cabelas that unfold and convert to hip waders when i reach the stream - also not available anymore..lol. Not sure what I will do when it's time to replace either one.

Attachments

• Tundra boots down.png
    Tundra boots down.png
    105 KB · Views: 2
  • Tundra boots up.png
    Tundra boots up.png
    63.8 KB · Views: 3
  • March Brown Hidden Waters Convertible 7-pc -  6-7' 4wt..png
    March Brown Hidden Waters Convertible 7-pc - 6-7' 4wt..png
    122 KB · Views: 2
Tiogadog wrote:
John:

I built the same 6'"6 two weight. Unlike you, I did not move the first guide closer to the reel seat. I rarely use it.

That makes three of us.
Spartan build with plain black wraps and cork/sliding band reel seat.
I use a 3-weight line on this. I believe it's an old SA Ultra3 that picked up in the bargain bin at a fly shop.

My go to rod for brookie streams is an old (very old) Orvis 6'6" 4 wt. rod. I bought it used from Tom Finkbiner of Slate Run and it has served me well for over 20 years. Only problem is that under certain conditions it is not long enough for the bow and arrow cast.

dano wrote:
Tiogadog wrote:
John:

That makes three of us.
Spartan build with plain black wraps and cork/sliding band reel seat.
I use a 3-weight line on this. I believe it's an old SA Ultra3 that picked up in the bargain bin at a fly shop.

dano I also throw 3wt line on mine. I put the Hook&Hackle brand on it when they had a sale.

I too have a 6'6" Batson RX6 blank that I got for under $20. And for like $50 building the whole thing and if it broke I would care.

I also have another 6'6" 2 wt. that has a little more backbone and it was like $70.

I also frequently use a 7'6" 4wt.

If it is a stream I can hop across, or at least rock hop across; its a 2 wt.

If its a stream that could require some wading its the 4 weight.

For me, it depends on where I'm fishing (stream width, overhead canopy, stream conditions, weather conditions etc.). For graphite, I really like a 7' 3/4 wt rod (Cortland GRX, Cortland CL) for smaller streams, and 7'6" 3wt (American Tackle Green Matrix I built) for larger streams like Slate Run, etc. In fiberglass, I really like the Cabelas CGR 6'3" 2 wt for smaller streams, and the TFO Finesse 7' 3/4 for larger streams. Pretty much everything that has been said so far is on the money. I do find though, that you might want to get more than one rod size/line wt if you plan to do some exploring as certain rods on certain streams will be more advantageous than others. I have all of the aforementioned rods and still can't decide whether I like graphite or glass the best.

Your normal go-to fly rod will work fine. Save your money.

The_Sasquatch wrote:
Your normal go-to fly rod will work fine. Save your money.

All your fiberglass rods are a foot or two shorter than normal to start with. :p

Back