Rod Comparisons

mattwolf

mattwolf

I was wondering if anyone can tell me the difference between the Orvis Superfine and the Sage TXL-F both in a 1wt. Thanks,

yes, one is actually a 3wt.

What do you mean by that??? Please elaborate on that.

Thanks,

I own both. Sage is a stiffer faster rod. The orvis at east the early 1st generation I own, is slow and soft.

The Orvis Superfine Touch 1wt priced at $295.00 and the Sage TXL-F 1wt is $625.00. I know the Sage is stiffer than the Orvis, but what does that mean?

Thanks,

it means that one bends less than the other, especially if you use the same line. If you were to say...put a 3wt line on the stiffer one, it would be more like the less stiff one.

Find them both.
Try them both.
Focus on the distance at which you will actually use both.
Pick one.
Buy it.

FWIW, a 1wt rod is a complete novelty. I use mine the one time I year I go out and try trico fishing. For anything other than size 16 flies at 10 paces it's just about useless.

Not easy to find them in upstate NY. That's why I was looking for some info on here between them.

Thanks,

$600 for a novelty rod is a joke. Just get a 3wt. If you need something for fishing up close, get a fiberglass 3wt.

You are right Steve I agree, but I would probably use this rod a lot for small stream fishing in Central PA.

mattwolf wrote:
You are right Steve I agree, but I would probably use this rod a lot for small stream fishing in Central PA.

If this is another misguided brooksie thread, I'd suggest you NOT buy a 1wt rod as it'd be about the worst investment possible.

There's a reason there's only a couple vendors making them: They're just about pointless as far as general fishing tools go. You probably won't use this rod for a lot of any stream fishing in PA. You'll force yourself to use it for a season, then the next year you'll break it out for a hatch or two, by the third year you'll drag out for tricos because you need to justify your continued ownership.

The day I purchase a fly rod as an investment is the day I sell my guns for a loss. Lol. I fish a lot of streams on the Beech Creek Mountain and you are right my 3wt would work just fine. Thanks,

Back