Rod Bulding - Handwritten or decaled

grouse11

grouse11

I just finished building a sweet little rod on a Batson Forecast RX6 blank. It is a 6'6" 2 piece 2wt. The blank came with teo silver decals with all of the information on. I just wanted to get some opinions on whether I should just stick a decal on or hand write it. I am leaning towards hand written to give it a more custom look but am worried about it not looking good. Do you guys prefer a nice crisp decal look or a custom hand written look?

grouse11 wrote:
I just finished building a sweet little rod on a Batson Forecast RX6 blank. It is a 6'6" 2 piece 2wt. The blank came with teo silver decals with all of the information on. I just wanted to get some opinions on whether I should just stick a decal on or hand write it. I am leaning towards hand written to give it a more custom look but am worried about it not looking good. Do you guys prefer a nice crisp decal look or a custom hand written look?

I like to hand-write on the rods I build, but it is a little more trouble than just applying the decals provided with the blank. I've found the metallic pens hard to use, a gel pen has worked best for me. Practice on an old blank until you are satisfied with the result. You can use alcohol to remove the writing when practicing.

Good luck with your new custom rod!

BTW, make sure you write your name or initials on your rod, too.

afishinado wrote:
grouse11 wrote:

I like to hand-write on the rods I build, but it is a little more trouble than just applying the decals provided with the blank. I've found the metallic pens hard to use, a gel pen has worked best for me. Practice on an old blank until you are satisfied with the result. You can use alcohol to remove the writing when practicing.

Good luck with your new custom rod!

BTW, make sure you write your name or initials on your rod, too.

+1
I too have found writing (with white pens in particular) difficult. I like to add the year the rod was built too.

I call BS on you finding anything even vaguely artistic as "difficult."

I imagine your rod scripting to be perfectly formed copperplate with the imperfection being one tiny little serif.

Anyways. Writing. Make it personal. Sign your work in whatever way you see fit.

I prefer hand written, hands down. Grouse, that is a nice blank you built on. I lettered an RX6 blank with a silver Gelly Roll pen. The gel ink doesn't really "dry" the same way that regular ink does so I sprayed it with a matte fixative and then sealed it with gloss polyurethane. Not my favorite method but the lettering is still on there. A few very light swipes with 0000 steel wool before writing makes it a little easier to letter on a gloss blank. Keep it light.

Sharpie makes water based or oil based paint pens/markers now, several of which have a fine point. I haven't tried these yet but I will.

I've only ever build rods from vintage split bamboo blanks. Note that I'm not talking restoration, but building a new rod from an old blank.

I would prefer hand written, and maybe even sign and date.

That said, my handwriting sucks so I leave the blank blank.;-)

If I build a rod, its definitely gonna be hand written.

I have an Allen myth 9ft 6wt rod blank and a 13ft 7wt Allen olympic spey blank sitting here collecting dust... Dont see myself ever building them so I'm willing to let them go for nothing. PM me if interested.

I was tempted to PM for the bigger rod, but it would likely sit in my basement until I am dead. I just want to say that this was awfully nice of you.

I have no opinion of your OP question but I can tell you I got that same blank made for me and you are going to love it! I use a 3wt line and I can throw a fair amount of line with it. Great Brookie rod. Good luck with it!

Well, it looks like I will be running to michaels for some gel pens. I needed brushes for the flex-seal anyway. Thanks for the input everyone.

Skibo5, you have a pm.

I handwrite mine, and after a bunch of years of this, I pretty much sign them all the same now, first initial, last name, rod length and line weight, and maybe the rod blank manufacturer.

I sign mine with my first and middle initial and full last name. Then length, and weight. On the opposite side I sign my name again and the date it was completed. I use extra-fine DecoColor paint markers.

wulffsig.jpg

also acceptable.

Hand write it.

Back