Rod building section?

D

DJBerg

How about it? There's a ton of neat DIY cheap rod builing tutorials around on the web, I myself am just getting into it and there's got to be quite a few other people on here that have knowledge to share, and to brainstorm with.

Just a thought.

Thanks DJ

Folks are always welcome to post tutorials here on Paff in the appropriate forum (in this case Gear Talk). I build all my own fly rods but am sloppy and would defer to others seeking to demonstrate this subject.

I don't think there's enough interest in the topic to warrant a new forum.

Rod building is something I want to get into as well, and I was just thinking the other week, "I wonder if PAFF would consider a Rod Building Forum"!

So, I guess not, but I thought I'd throw my hat of interest into the ring.

If anyone needs some help I'm not the best but have built rods from 4' UL for trout up to 11' surf rods. Other sites that have Rod Building Forums seem to be deserts. JMO

Well then we can start a some what organized thread on DIY tools an so forth, maybe after the morning Steele head session ill whip up a post of all the cheap rod building stuff I have found. And we can see where it goes.

I sure would not say my rod building is no better than beginner at best, but I love cheap and a challenge so I'm going for it...

as life and time works, im geting around to startiong that thread, does anyon know of our "local" pa flyshops who sells rod building gear? and also are there any sponsoring business who sell and have tutorial(rod making) vids online?

thanks agian

DJBerg wrote:
does anyon know of our "local" pa flyshops who sells rod building gear?

In my experience, local shops don't sell a lot of rod building gear. Fly Fisher's Paradise in State College usually has some guides, reel seats etc but, last time I checked, they didn't sell blanks. The Hook and Hackle Company in Homestead sells a good line of rod building equipment (at least it's available in their catalog - not sure if they actually have a brick and mortar store)

David I think he is going for more "local" than the big box stores or destination fly shops. There used to be a lot of suburban and urban flyshops in basements and garages, while most are gone, some may remain. These shops carried very specialized stuff. While I am not a rod builder, I would notice these items.

Anyway, since I don't build rods, I am not worth any specifics.

One other detail I just found out about, is limited editing. While screwing with the lay out adjusting fonts and what not, I went through the 5 edit limit. iOS that per day? Or per post?

Would I be better off to write it up in word and copy past when I have the whole thing? It might take me a few weeks to get it where instant it but what ever is fine. Though I would like to be able to add things as I learn them, or as others post good ideas as well.

Sorry for all the questions guys.

A&A Outfitters in Blakeslee sells rod building products, but mostly high-end stuff: Sage & Winston blanks, Struble and Bellinger reel seats, etc. Here is a link:

http://www.aaoutfitters.com/shop/building-supplies-c-27.html

How about a general DIY projects forum? Well not just general, it would obviously have to be FF related, but I think there are a good number of projects other than rod building that people would like to talk about.

That would work as well, and it could be a sub forum of the gear talk forum.

Back