Rod Building Questions

C

Chet2134

I would like to try to get into rod building but don't really know where to start or what i might be getting into...I guess my question is how difficult of a process is it for someone with no prior knowledge? And if anyone has any good suggestions for where i should start...Should i buy a kit with everything included first? Finally, are there any good books or websites that i should take a look at? Thanks.

start here...

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/graphite/

Also check out mudhole.com. They sell rod building supplies and have some instructional videos on their site. It'll give you an idea of what is involved in building a rod. Don't try to build your dream rod first time around, start with something inexpensive. Like tying flies, your results get better with practice. Good luck.

If you tie your own flies you can build a rod most fly shops carry all the stuff you'll need once again, at the risk of sounding redundant, Bob Clouser in Middletown/Royalton not only has what ya need he'll help you with any questions.

IMO, wrap a rod that you are going to fish 90% of the time. I would stay away from a kit unless you like the components. Why wrap and put together something you're not going to be happy with or proud. If you're into fancy wraps, I think, I have a tape or two that you can barrow if you want; as posts before said websites help and have good information. The process is not hard, take your time and if you are not happy with a wrap cut if off and start again do not epoxy a wrap that you are not happy with, it will not look better with epoxy. If you get into it then buy all of the fancy equipment but for now a book and a cardboard box and a few other things you have around the house will get you started.

Joe E

I have also been looking into rodbuilding myself. The guys at Hook and Hackle have been a huge source of helpful information. They have illustrated instructions on their site for building your first rod without any special equipment.

www.hookhack.com

Back