Rod Building Kit

Kevin82

Kevin82

Ive been researching for a good rod building kit. Im wanting a 4 wt. 9'-10'. I was looking at the ones at Mudhole's website.
I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions of anywhere else to check or ones to stay away from?
Thanks for any responses.

Hook and Hackle, Anglers Workshop

Epic has a rod building kit that I'm pretty sure includes everything you'd need ie.. blank, guides, thread, reel seat, epoxy, and finish.

Cabelas back in the day has the best kits. They were actually very cheap and affordable compared to the retail cost of the finished rod. I built a G Loomis GL3 and the kit was like $150 but the rod retailed for $400. I can't even come close to finding deals like that anymore. Most of the blanks alone (not including real seats, handles, eyelets, etc) I see are not even half the price of the finished rods. Its just not as cost effective as it used to be.

I would love to build a 10' 4wt or a 9' 8wt so I'm hoping you get a few more answers.

I built a 10 ft 4 wt Xi kit from Hook&Hackle . Very pleased.

bigjohn58 wrote:
Cabelas back in the day has the best kits. They were actually very cheap and affordable compared to the retail cost of the finished rod. I built a G Loomis GL3 and the kit was like $150 but the rod retailed for $400. I can't even come close to finding deals like that anymore. Most of the blanks alone (not including real seats, handles, eyelets, etc) I see are not even half the price of the finished rods. Its just not as cost effective as it used to be.

I would love to build a 10' 4wt or a 9' 8wt so I'm hoping you get a few more answers.

The best deals are not kits that have a factory rod equivalent. The best deals are from the blank only companies or from component suppliers house brands. ie; Hook and Hackle, Mud Hole, Batson, Pac Bay, etc. etc.

yeah... yeah... yeah... I know. BUT YOU CAN'T TEST CAST THEM!!!!

After dozens of rods built on a plethora of different brand blanks, I've had very few that I was not satisfied with, and only two that I would not fish with. The internet is a tremendous resource. Compare specs, read reviews, and in the end... just go for it.

The web is a treasure trove of sales and discounts. There are good blanks for well under $100. For under $200 total you can build the equivalent of many manufacturers $300-500 rods. But, you won't get to show off your Sage logo.

Kev

Kevin82 wrote:
Ive been researching for a good rod building kit. Im wanting a 4 wt. 9'-10'. I was looking at the ones at Mudhole's website.
I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions of anywhere else to check or ones to stay away from?
Thanks for any responses.

As has been said; Hook and Hackle and Mudhole are good starting points. I've been very satisfied with H&H's house brand blanks. Both companies have a good selection of components. H&H has frequent sales that include their various blanks. For me a typical fly rod build usually involves purchasing at least some components from MH or H&H. I've also had good experiences with several other online retailers. Shoff Tackle comes to mind, although their fly fishing selection is much more limited.

I would, however, stay away from "kits." Choosing your own components is not hard at all and to be honest, is half the satisfaction. Besides this, the kits tend to have the cheapest seats and mediocre cork at best. Also, they often include the little packets of finish rather than bottles and measuring syringes. Some people don't mind any of this and a usable, nice looking rod can certainly be built from them, but you can usually get closer to exactly what you want and see a small but noticeable jump in quality by choosing your own components, even for a budget build.

My recommendation would be to go for a lower cost option for your first rod. You can get a pretty decent rod built for $150 or less with a little shopping around. You should be able to find plenty of reasonably priced 9' 4wt and a few 10' 4wts blanks (or kits if you are set on that). At any rate, the build process is simple, but takes some practice to get a really good looking rod. Rod #1 should be an investment in learning rod building and not so much an attempt at the worlds most perfect fly rod, although very good results can be had with patience.

Kev

Thanks for all the info.
Kev, I had that in mind about the first rod not turnng out well, I havent built a rod since high school, 16 years ago. Kind of why I had in mind to get a "kit" for practice, and see how I do one that one.
Again thanks to everyone for the information, I appreciate it.

Kevin

PennKev wrote:
bigjohn58 wrote:

The best deals are not kits that have a factory rod equivalent. The best deals are from the blank only companies or from component suppliers house brands. ie; Hook and Hackle, Mud Hole, Batson, Pac Bay, etc. etc.

After dozens of rods built on a plethora of different brand blanks, I've had very few that I was not satisfied with, and only two that I would not fish with. The internet is a tremendous resource. Compare specs, read reviews, and in the end... just go for it.

The web is a treasure trove of sales and discounts. There are good blanks for well under $100. For under $200 total you can build the equivalent of many manufacturers $300-500 rods. But, you won't get to show off your Sage logo.

Kev

Yeah I have no intentions of ever buying a kit again. I would do a fully customized look if I build one again. I just wish you could get name brand blanks that you know how they should cast at an affordable price. I am always skeptical with these off brand blanks. If they were so great wouldn't they be selling their rods finished or another rod company using their blanks? Can you point me in the direction of one of these blank companies that are equivalent to G Loomis, Orvis, Sage, etc?

My favorite and most used rod is an 8' 4 wt rod that I built myself with MHX blank (Mudhole) and Fugi alconite ceramic single foot guides. No snakes guides. Single foot all the way to the tip. It roll casts amazing. I'd call it moderate action.

Try donartsrods.com or yeoldeenglishflyshop.com. Many blank choices both graphite & glass,components etc. Reasonably priced, so you can probably build 2or3 rods to cover your angling style/methods.( I think Tenkara is available also). Customer service from both has always been xcellent for me. Between the 2 choices I hope you find what you're after. (If you prefer to turn your own grips, Mogos Custom Cork has an eBay store and periodically has a good selection of cork rings in various grades & sizes.). Happy wrapping,turning etc.

Loomis doesn't sell blanks. North fork composites sells blanks and is owned by Gary Loomis, but they aren't cheap. Sage and orvis sell blanks. Most cheaper blanks are made in Asia. They are more comparable to an echo or tfo than a sage or Loomis (because they are probably made in the same factory). You're not paying for the sage logo, you are paying for us labor vs asian labor.

bigjohn58 wrote:
PennKev wrote:
bigjohn58 wrote:

Kev

Yeah I have no intentions of ever buying a kit again. I would do a fully customized look if I build one again. I just wish you could get name brand blanks that you know how they should cast at an affordable price. I am always skeptical with these off brand blanks. If they were so great wouldn't they be selling their rods finished or another rod company using their blanks? Can you point me in the direction of one of these blank companies that are equivalent to G Loomis, Orvis, Sage, etc?

. I just wish you could get name brand blanks that you know how they should cast at an affordable price. I am always skeptical with these off brand blanks. If they were so great wouldn't they be selling their rods finished or another rod company using their blanks? Can you point me in the direction of one of these blank companies that are equivalent to G Loomis, Orvis, Sage, etc?

Like I said, you have to just go for it.

Blank companies are in the business of selling blanks. That has nothing to do with how the finished rod performs. They do not sell completed rods because that is not their business and they don't want to compete in that market or take on the expenses of doing so.

Believe it or not, H&H, Mudhole, Pacific Bay, and Batson (among many) all offer high performance options. If you think you need to buy a big name and spend $400 rather than $100-200 to get a top of the line blank, that is on you. But once you take the leap and build on a good blank, that idea will be shattered.

Here's a little story: A guide friend of mine who gets Winstons at a great discount and who is also a part owner of a very highly acclaimed bamboo rod shop was casting my recently built H&H FTX 9ft 5wt. He was very impressed by the rod and couldn't believe the entire build cost only around $200. He must have said "That's a sweet rod." five or six time without realizing it.

Yes, in this case Asian manufacturing is a factor in the low cost, but you shouldn't confuse that with being a poorly designed blank or one using second rate or obsolete materials. Companies like Pacific Bay and Batson, for instance have a very good reputation for producing good blanks. They may not have the sex appeal of a Winston, but they are the bread and butter brands of the custom rod world and offer good options at many price points.

Furthermore, we need to compare apples to apples. Look at the blank only companies and compare their blank prices to the blank prices from TFO which are also Asian made blanks. You still pay for that TFO logo the same as you pay for Sage or whoever else. Also, at one point Batson was producing a lot of blanks in the US, they were still significantly less expensive than the blanks the big made-in-the-US rod brands were selling. Also, consider that rod manufacturers want you to buy completed rods. They are not going to price their blanks so low as to encourage customers to NOT buy completed rods. Blank companies, on the other hand, must price their blanks so that customers choose building on their blanks as opposed to buying someone else's complete rod. Unfortunately that has forced most blank companies to rely heavily on foreign manufacturing.

And, if after all that, you are still dead set on a Winston or Sage blank, you can still get those on steep discounts if you are patient and keep an eye out.

PennKev wrote:
. I just wish you could get name brand blanks that you know how they should cast at an affordable price. I am always skeptical with these off brand blanks. If they were so great wouldn't they be selling their rods finished or another rod company using their blanks? Can you point me in the direction of one of these blank companies that are equivalent to G Loomis, Orvis, Sage, etc?

Like I said, you have to just go for it.

Blank companies are in the business of selling blanks. That has nothing to do with how the finished rod performs. They do not sell completed rods because that is not their business and they don't want to compete in that market or take on the expenses of doing so.

Believe it or not, H&H, Mudhole, Pacific Bay, and Batson (among many) all offer high performance options. If you think you need to buy a big name and spend $400 rather than $100-200 to get a top of the line blank, that is on you. But once you take the leap and build on a good blank, that idea will be shattered.

Here's a little story: A guide friend of mine who gets Winstons at a great discount and who is also a part owner of a very highly acclaimed bamboo rod shop was casting my recently built H&H FTX 9ft 5wt. He was very impressed by the rod and couldn't believe the entire build cost only around $200. He must have said "That's a sweet rod." five or six time without realizing it.

Yes, in this case Asian manufacturing is a factor in the low cost, but you shouldn't confuse that with being a poorly designed blank or one using second rate or obsolete materials. Companies like Pacific Bay and Batson, for instance have a very good reputation for producing good blanks. They may not have the sex appeal of a Winston, but they are the bread and butter brands of the custom rod world and offer good options at many price points.

Furthermore, we need to compare apples to apples. Look at the blank only companies and compare their blank prices to the blank prices from TFO which are also Asian made blanks. You still pay for that TFO logo the same as you pay for Sage or whoever else. Also, at one point Batson was producing a lot of blanks in the US, they were still significantly less expensive than the blanks the big made-in-the-US rod brands were selling. Also, consider that rod manufacturers want you to buy completed rods. They are not going to price their blanks so low as to encourage customers to NOT buy completed rods. Blank companies, on the other hand, must price their blanks so that customers choose building on their blanks as opposed to buying someone else's complete rod. Unfortunately that has forced most blank companies to rely heavily on foreign manufacturing.

And, if after all that, you are still dead set on a Winston or Sage blank, you can still get those on steep discounts if you are patient and keep an eye out.

Agreed with above.

There are a lot of decent blanks out there to build a rod, but the most difficult thing is without ever casting a rod built with a certain blank, one has no idea what to expect. You may invest money and time to build a rod and really not like it after it is built.

Also, if there is any warranty for your blank, it is limited to receiving a replacement section. It's up to you (or your builder) to remake the section.

Building a rod is fun. If possible try to cast before you build.

"My recommendation would be to go for a lower cost option for your first rod. You can get a pretty decent rod built for $150 or less with a little shopping around. You should be able to find plenty of reasonably priced 9' 4wt and a few 10' 4wts blanks (or kits if you are set on that). At any rate, the build process is simple, but takes some practice to get a really good looking rod. Rod #1 should be an investment in learning rod building and not so much an attempt at the worlds most perfect fly rod, although very good results can be had with patience."
2nd that emotion-been there,done that-your first rod--learn the tricks so that from then on you will be relaxed which actually is a great help ,especially in wrapping--also you can decide type of guides,size of handle and the rest far better with experience.

Thanks for all the info guys!

Back