Rod and flies for PA pike?

Crotalus

Crotalus

I want to give pike a shot this year, I know some water that has them in the 20"-30" range, probably not any bigger than that.

What weight rod would I need to go after them?

I use my 6 wt streamer rod for steelhead in Erie - would that suffice or do I need to go bigger?

Also what size flies should I be tying for that size fish?

Thanks

6wt will be fine

Fly size? as big as you want/ are able to cast
a 25in pike will eat a 10in-12in streamer or big topwater

fly size and depth you want to fish will dictate your rod and line choice.

floating, int, or sink?
large flies?
topwater?

I used to use a 6 weight but for throwing really big flies i prefer an 8 or 9.

I used to use a 6 wt. on lakes in Canada.

However, whenever I get some extra time and money I will build a 9 weight.

As far as flies, I have caught large pike on size 6 zonkers and buggers and 8" flies.
Weirdest pike experience: I stripped in a size 6 zonker a couple times and a fish followed and would submarine away. After the third time I let the fly rest on the bank while I gather my line off the rocks and swatted some mosiquitos and the fish rocketed out of the water about 4 feet to take the 2 inch long fly at my feet. When I reeled him back in he was all cut up from the rocks.

Zonker strips suck, they are not a good "big fly" material.

I like the zonkers for river browns and steelhead. But not so much for pike. I'm not saying they don't work i just prefer buck tail grizzly hackle and marabou.

I didn't say it was the best material, just saying for me it worked.

I also don't care if a fish shreds a fly. I have enough and would tie a new one on if it ment catching another fish.

I do think people get a little carried away with fly patterns. If it looks right in the water at the right moment a fish will eat it. Hell i once caught a muskie on a little wooly bugger while smallmouth fishing. So i agree with ya mkern.

Back