Rock Treads

Mwheaps32

Mwheaps32

I installed a set of these on an old pair of simms vapors hoping to help breath some new life into them. I typically wade on some nasty slick rocks in the Susquehanna so I'm excited to see how they hold up. They lock down tight from inside the boot (you have to drill through the boot to install them)

Does anybody have any experience using rock treads?
https://flic.kr/p/ShkdRL

They should enhance your wading and rock gripping ability. I've not used them, but I have a pair of Patagonia boots with the aluminum bars on the bottom, and they definitely bite the best of any sole doctoring mods that are out there. I like that the Rock Treads are drilled through the boot; with some Loc-tite, that should fix the number one problem I encounter with anything screwed into the boot only, namely that they fall or pull out.

I had them on my boots. The problem was the screws that hold them in place pooled out. I ended up losing a bunch of the discs. It's a shame because they did a good job griping rocks. I have since switched to grip studs.

I think you will be pleased with the traction they provide. They are a pain in the rear to install and are a bit pricey. By the time you buy a decent boot and these you have $300 wrapped up in them and then an hour of your time to install. I would rather just buy the foot tractors, save a few bucks and not have the hassle of installing them. Adding them to a pair of boots you already have makes more sense though

Did you install them with the washers on the inside of the boot? This is the first I've heard of that happening. I'm not a fan of aluminum so I'm not a Rock Treads fan but I did think they would end up staying in your boots and not fall out.

I got a chance to try them out over the weekend and they definitely grip nicely. Salmonid that's a great idea with the locktite I'm gonna go and put some on for additional security. Tyoung the new rock treads come with a washer that sits flat within the boot that holds the screws in. They are a little bit of a pain to install but it wasn't that bad. I don't think I'd put these on a brand new pair of boots but I thought what heck if I can get another year or two out of what I have since I like them. The vibram soles on Simms are pretty durable but they certainly lose their grip fairly quickly. I'll report back if I have any problems with the screws staying put.

Mwheaps32 wrote:
I got a chance to try them out over the weekend and they definitely grip nicely. Salmonid that's a great idea with the locktite I'm gonna go and put some on for additional security. Tyoung the new rock treads come with a washer that sits flat within the boot that holds the screws in. They are a little bit of a pain to install but it wasn't that bad. I don't think I'd put these on a brand new pair of boots but I thought what heck if I can get another year or two out of what I have since I like them. The vibram soles on Simms are pretty durable but they certainly lose their grip fairly quickly. I'll report back if I have any problems with the screws staying put.

Out of all boots I have owned the Simms Vibram soles on their G3 boots held up the worst. All the areas where the sole grip met the edge of the boot would tear. I tried installing the Simms studs/cleats on them and they couldn't hold them to save their lives. Returned them and even the red gut part of the boot that was supposed to anchor in the studs was ripping right out with them. I like the idea of how the Rock Treads install BUT I am also concerned that they may end up rubbing on the bottom of your neoprene bootie causing them to wear out.

bigjohn58 wrote:
Mwheaps32 wrote:

Out of all boots I have owned the Simms Vibram soles on their G3 boots held up the worst. All the areas where the sole grip met the edge of the boot would tear. I tried installing the Simms studs/cleats on them and they couldn't hold them to save their lives. Returned them and even the red gut part of the boot that was supposed to anchor in the studs was ripping right out with them. I like the idea of how the Rock Treads install BUT I am also concerned that they may end up rubbing on the bottom of your neoprene bootie causing them to wear out.

Take the insole out of the boot when you install them then replace after installing. Just as a side note, you can make a system like this without buying from Roctkreads...... as they are just T-nuts with matching thread stainless screws. So, if you had some Simms cleats already you could just buy T-nuts and screws and you basically have the same thing.

I had them installed on Simms guide boots. Provide good traction, but I am not in love with them. I have lost several, as the screws work loose.

I used an aftermarket insole to cover the heads of the bolts in the sole of the boots.

Put them on the Simms, because even with the Simms studs installed, traction was absolutely horrible. Worst Simms I have ever had.

Thinking of Patagonia next.

Here's a thread from 2014

Back