Roaring Brook Runoff > Lackawanna River

I saw that headline. I think I read that they're not even stocking that section this spring.

As someone that fishes the Lack a lot I have seen firsthand the effect the mud runoff is having on the river and it will take years for the lower section of the river to recover from the amount of silt being deposited.

I saw that headline. I think I read that they're not even stocking that section this spring.

The section below the #7 Reservoir (where the silt originated) is Section 5 and it IS scheduled to be stocked on March 19th.

I have a lot a choice words regarding Aqua and their behavior, none of which I'll repeat here... :mad:

hey! just found this page from researching if there has been more coverage on this event. Im from Dunmore and have attempted to fly fish the area In multiple spots because im new fly fishing but fished for the stocks there before. The res was a special place for me growing up, spent a lot of time back there and this is pretty bad. Contractors put 0 sediment mitigation in place. I walked the river from the nay aug gorge to the res and took pics along the way and posted them to Facebook and reddit. ill share my two reddit posts in here so you can view the pics in dunmore. Looks like a tornado went through the place in some spots.

IMG 1099
this was the confluence on Tuesday 2/20/24

The section below the #7 Reservoir (where the silt originated) is Section 5 and it IS scheduled to be stocked on March 19th.

I have a lot a choice words regarding Aqua and their behavior, none of which I'll repeat here... :mad:
stocking is canceled I just think they didn't update the site yet. even if they didn't when they showed up they wouldn't put any fish in. there's no where for them to go. 90% of all fishing holes were filled in with the silt. The Nay Aug Gorge is filled up with silt. The actual "no swimming" gorge off the water falls. it's 6" deep with water and however many feet of silt. The roaring brook is devestated

Aqua needs their a$$ fined for this disaster!!
They dumped a 30acre lake with estimates of 20' high of sediment with 0 mitigation. Fines are the only reasonable action but a company shouldn't be able to operate after impacting the environment like that. It was build up of 150 years of sediment and upstream bank erosions. Walking up the creek yesterday I was shocked with the amount of what looked like full pieces of coal. Anthracite. metric tons of it. As I have said the Sediment is unbelievable but what actually shocked me was the coal that ended up being deposited into the river.

My father in law used to swim in that gorge as a kid...

I hope Aqua is held accountable and then some...

hey! just found this page from researching if there has been more coverage on this event. Im from Dunmore and have attempted to fly fish the area In multiple spots because im new fly fishing but fished for the stocks there before. The res was a special place for me growing up, spent a lot of time back there and this is pretty bad. Contractors put 0 sediment mitigation in place. I walked the river from the nay aug gorge to the res and took pics along the way and posted them to Facebook and reddit. ill share my two reddit posts in here so you can view the pics in dunmore. Looks like a tornado went through the place in some spots.

Dear Waterboy,

I checked your reddit pictures and this is an unmitigated disaster. Those stream banks are literally covered with decades worth of accumulated silt. I can't imagine much of anything other than a small mammal managing to survive that load of crud.

The saddest thing is that even if the fines clean up the mess Dunmore will likely be left with higher water bills and even worse service.

Please keep fighting this though! Your posts are bringing light to a serious issue.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Last edited:
Dear Waterboy,

I checked your reddit pictures and this is an unmitigated disaster. Those stream banks are literally covered with decades worth of accumulated silt. I can't imagine much of anything other than a small mammal managing to survive that load of crud.

The saddest thing is that even if the fines clean up the mess Dunmore will likely be left with higher water bills and even worse service.

Please keep fighting this though! Your posts are bringing light to a serious issue.

Regards,

Tim Murphy
Thank you! No one was willing to walk the river to take pics since this happened February 4th

Pennsylvania American Water IS Aqua...
Regardless, PA AM Water OWN the dam. Idk if they were doing the physical work tho.I believe they take responsibility because they contracted though? Could have been contracted out. I couldn’t see any branding on the machinery from my point of view with binoculars

Pennsylvania American Water IS Aqua...
I don't believe that is correct. They have different parent companies.

DEP Clean Water should have primacy here and, i would guess levee notice of violation and maybe fines against American because it's their dam and project.

Back