****roach - Tarpon Fly

JerryCoviello

JerryCoviello

****roach Tarpon Fly

This is a required fly pattern for the FFI FTG Gold Award Fly Tying Skill Award.

http://flyfishersinternational.org/Tying/FlyTyingSkillsAwardProgram/GoldAward/tabid/709/Default.aspx

Attachments

• ****roach - signature resized.jpg
    ****roach - signature resized.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 12
I tie and use these flies for smallies but I reverse tie in the bucktail right at the hook eye so it pushes more water . I also add silver flashabou at the tail like a deceiver .

Nice tie!

What is the reasoning for many tarpon flies being tied with substantial space left behind the eye?

jacob wrote:
Nice tie!

What is the reasoning for many tarpon flies being tied with substantial space left behind the eye?

tied at rear of the hook like most tarpon flies to cut down on the chance of material fouling in the hook gap.

Thanks Jerry - that makes sense. I wonder why that isn't common for other "species" flies.

Also, just figured I'd mention that im gonna try to make it out for the next brew tie! Sounds like a good time.

Another reason, from my understanding, is most anglers back-in-the day snelled a heavy bite tippet right on the shank of the hook, and that was best done on a bare shank.

jacob wrote:
Thanks Jerry - that makes sense. I wonder why that isn't common for other "species" flies.

Also, just figured I'd mention that im gonna try to make it out for the next brew tie! Sounds like a good time.

Hope to see you at the Brew Tie.

From what I found also

The main reason is to prevent fouling. As I understand it, the first flies used for Tarpon were basic freshwater streamers & they fouled badly, so by moving the hackle back on the hook this was prevented or at least limited. 

Another reason may be that tarpon flies were often snelled with heavy shock tippets, and a bare shank made that possible

Every fly has a story, and I like to hear them.

Lefty Deceiver has the feather wing tied at the bend so it doesn't foul up.

Lefty Deceiver is a required fly for the FFI FTG Silver Fly Tying Award.

http://www.flyfishersinternational.org/Tying/FlyTyingSkillsAwardProgram/SilverAward/tabid/656/Default.aspx

Attachments

• Lefty Deciever resized.jpg
    Lefty Deciever resized.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 2
Nice tie Jerry, It is my understanding the original ****roach was tied with brown bucktail. I caught my 1st tarpon on fly in 1977. I had the opportunity to fish with several of the old timers. Stu Apt and Cal Cochran. Fished with Cal a lot. He claimed the adding the squirrel tail collar was his idea. Not sure if its true but that was his claim.
That was in the good old days. Tarpon flys today are much different.
Back in the day they were all on 5/0 hooks. We used 100 lb or greater shock tippets. Not like that anymore.

But back then I did catch a lot of fish with Cal on the ****roach.

Good memories.

GenCon

GenCon wrote:
Nice tie Jerry, It is my understanding the original ****roach was tied with brown bucktail. I caught my 1st tarpon on fly in 1977. I had the opportunity to fish with several of the old timers. Stu Apt and Cal Cochran. Fished with Cal a lot. He claimed the adding the squirrel tail collar was his idea. Not sure if its true but that was his claim.
That was in the good old days. Tarpon flys today are much different.
Back in the day they were all on 5/0 hooks. We used 100 lb or greater shock tippets. Not like that anymore.

But back then I did catch a lot of fish with Cal on the ****roach.

Good memories.

GenCon

Mike,
My understanding was the first ****roach was tied with bucktail also.

I will be bringing the not perfect ones to Aruba with me or fish them here in the bay.

Cool Jerry, yes try them there. They don't work so hot in the Keys anymore. Its all different now.
But Send a report. And FYI Aruba has giant Snook around any dock lights at night. And also at 1st light on beaches just outside of any rock pile.

GenCon

Back