River Wharfe, Yorkshire Dales United Kingdom – 30 June 2015

Millsertime

Millsertime

My job recently brought me back to Europe. I was in Germany for a few days and then in England. I brought my FF gear this time in hopes of finally fishing overseas. 2 years ago when I was in England I utilized my free time by visiting the Samuel Smith brewery in Tadcaster not knowing there was a great trout stream in its backyard.

I fished the River Wharfe near Bolton Abbey in the Yorkshire Dales. This specific section offers many miles of fishing access although I found it to be somewhat pricey at around $50 for the day but at least guides were not required.

Bolton Abbey is a private estate dating back to the 1100’s and is very popular with day trippers. The river keeper told me that usage shouldn’t be too high on a weekday but the day I was able to fish was a gorgeous blue bird day and there were lots of people out hiking although I didn’t see another fisherman. I found solitude in a section above what is called “The Strid” which is a narrow channel of fast moving water. There were hikers above “The Strid” but the banks were steep enough that I didn’t feel like I had people watching me consistently. This area also provided much more shade for me and the fish.

The River Wharfe is a spate (freestone) river and it was supposedly low at the time I fished but I found it ideal especially for wading. Its water color had a reddish tint almost like a tanic PA brookie stream. There are majority wild browns in this section but the Abbey also does some stocking to satisfy the inept anglers (not my words!).

I landed several browns similar in size to the one pictured below. I caught 1 grayling but it got off right before I netted it. I saw some mayflies but no consistent hatch. There were sporadic risers throughout the later afternoon but nothing consistent. Browns were caught on conehead streamers (wooly bugger variations) and parachute BWO’s (blind casting). I fished spider flies down and across as well but didn’t have any luck with them unfortunately.

I will likely visit here again in 2 years but I think I would try the River Dove or possibly fish further upstream on the Wharfe near Burnsall.

Caption on pictures should be self-explanatory.

Special thanks to “Geebee” for providing useful information/links about Yorkshire FFing.

Attachments

• Wharfe.jpg
    Wharfe.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Wharfe near Aqueduct.jpg
    Wharfe near Aqueduct.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Wharfe brown.jpg
    Wharfe brown.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Wharfe and Bolton Abbey.jpg
    Wharfe and Bolton Abbey.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Wharfe above Aqueduct.jpg
    Wharfe above Aqueduct.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Upper Wharfe.jpg
    Upper Wharfe.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Trib to River Esk.jpg
    Trib to River Esk.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 5
  • Old Speckled Hen.jpg
    Old Speckled Hen.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 5
  • FF Wharfe.jpg
    FF Wharfe.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 6
Looks like a good time :pint:

My family is from Yorkshire. The two times i've been there i wanted to fish sooo badly. Very bucolic setting.

To fish in the shadow of "Bolton's old monastic pile" is a long-time fantasy of mine. Congratulations.

I'm very jealous. It's been a dream of mine to fish that river ever since I discovered Pritt and Edmonds&Lee years ago.

I fished spider flies down and across as well but didn’t have any luck with them unfortunately.

Should tried fishing them upstream.

the smoke fly and the waterhen bloa would be a likely pair.

Tups wrote:
To fish in the shadow of "Bolton's old monastic pile" is a long-time fantasy of mine. Congratulations.

mine too - though i'm very glad that I could see it vicariously through Millsertime.

Coming from that stretch thats a very special brownie, and a good size for any Dales stream - as a yorkshireman may say "eeh, thats a reet bobby dazzler..."

quite few people skunk up there, especially in low water, so good job.

hatches are few and far between in most of England, and on its upland streams even more so - the upstream spider and lightly weighted nymphs fished upstream was developed on those Dales streams especially for those conditions.

great pics, thanks for sharing them and glad I could assist.

cheers

mark.

geebee wrote:

hatches are few and far between in most of England, and on its upland streams even more so

I wonder why that is the case.

And what do the trout eat?

troutbert wrote:
geebee wrote:

hatches are few and far between in most of England, and on its upland streams even more so

I wonder why that is the case.

The growing season is much shorter there and the UK doesn't get enough warm days for extended hatches, plus most of the upland streams are acidic and bug life is limited - compared to the US etc.

they are mostly nymph and fry feeders, with terrestials sporadically throughout the summer like the Martins flies, Hawthorn flies etc and a smattering of caddis or stoneflies. damsels can be big in late to mid summer when the dragonflies are about.

if trouts want to grow big in Europe they head to sea - if they can.

cheers

Mark.

Thanks for posting this. My wife is from England so I get over there occasionally but I have never fished anything but salt. I even lived there for six months before our wedding and didn't manage to get out. I've looked into it from time to time but it always seemed over priced. $50 a day seems pretty reasonable. As I recall, the trout beats I found were considerably more. I've always looked into water in the south which may account for part of that.

Anyway, I really enjoyed and appreciate the post. Thanks for sharing. That Old Speckled Hen glass has me day dreaming of a pint now.

Back