Riparian Buffer Roll Back

Maurice

Maurice

Administrator
Staff member
Representative Hahn plans to introduce legislation that would roll back the 150 ft minimum buffer on EV streams set by the DEP Last year.

Not sure what the Action Alert is but stay tuned.

I should give Credit to R.Martin from the Forest Coalition for sending me this tidbit.

See the attached cosponsorship memo from Rep. Marcia M. Hahn.

She proposes that the legislature repeal the 150-foot buffer from high quality or exceptional value waters.
This would roll back the advances achieved last year through the efforts of environmental and sportsmen’s groups

R. Martin Coordinator www.PaForestCoalition.org

Attachments

• REP. HAHN RiparianBuffer Memo 10-17-11.jpg
    REP. HAHN RiparianBuffer Memo 10-17-11.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 6
Speaking of riparian buffers.

On Spring Creek, at the PFBC access with the footbridge, a few accesses upstream from Route 550, there is a recently created tree planting buffer above the footbridge.

Just recently a fancy new sign was put up, praising all the benefits of riparian buffers. About 8 feet from that sign, next to the bridge, PFBC crews are still mowing the lawns right to the water's edge.

Walking downstream from the footbridge and sign, they are also still mowing right up to the bank, or very close. You can see this less than a stone's throw from the sign.

The sign is very nicely done, though. Very educational. Stop and check it out when you visit Spring Creek. :)

In the Canyon, up above the pistol range and the dirt rearing ponds, there is an old low head dam. Recently, they put up a sign warning kayakers to take out above this dam. To create a kayak take-out, they wacked all the bank vegetation down to close stubble, along about 60 feet of bank.

No riparian buffer sign was installed at this site, however. This site will likely be a good prospect for a "bank stabilization" project in a few years, with the help of a Growing Greener grant.

Speaking of riparian buffers. On Spring Creek, at the PFBC access with the footbridge, a few accesses upstream from Route 550, there is a recently created tree planting buffer above the footbridge. Just recently a fancy new sign was put up, praising all the benefits of riparian buffers. About 8 feet from that sign, next to the bridge, PFBC crews are still mowing the lawns right to the water's edge. Walking downstream from the footbridge and sign, they are also still mowing right up to the bank, or very close. You can see this less than a stone's throw from the sign. The sign is very nicely done, though. Very educational. Stop and check it out when you visit Spring Creek. In the Canyon, up above the pistol range and the dirt rearing ponds, there is an old low head dam. Recently, they put up a sign warning kayakers to take out above this dam. To create a kayak take-out, they wacked all the bank vegetation down to close stubble, along about 60 feet of bank. No riparian buffer sign was installed at this site, however. This site will likely be a good prospect for a "bank stabilization" project in a few years, with the help of a Growing Greener grant.

:lol: classic

I knew that area was mowed. Not as much as before, they seem to be letting go the area right around the little spring, but mowing the path. Did not know it was the PFBC doing it, kinda figured it was the guy who owns the adjacent land (with the wall). Yeah, the PFBC definitely shouldn't mow that.

1) What has been the on-the-ground effects of the 150 foot buffer law? Has it been enforced?

2) On the topic of PFBC riparian mowing. Has anyone been to Big Spring Creek this season, and if so is the PFBC still mowing up to or near the banks on their properties on that stream? I know that the Big Spring Watershed Association was trying to do something about riparian buffers a while back, but don't know how that panned out.

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
Speaking of riparian buffers. On Spring Creek, at the PFBC access with the footbridge, a few accesses upstream from Route 550, there is a recently created tree planting buffer above the footbridge. Just recently a fancy new sign was put up, praising all the benefits of riparian buffers. About 8 feet from that sign, next to the bridge, PFBC crews are still mowing the lawns right to the water's edge. Walking downstream from the footbridge and sign, they are also still mowing right up to the bank, or very close. You can see this less than a stone's throw from the sign. The sign is very nicely done, though. Very educational. Stop and check it out when you visit Spring Creek. In the Canyon, up above the pistol range and the dirt rearing ponds, there is an old low head dam. Recently, they put up a sign warning kayakers to take out above this dam. To create a kayak take-out, they wacked all the bank vegetation down to close stubble, along about 60 feet of bank. No riparian buffer sign was installed at this site, however. This site will likely be a good prospect for a "bank stabilization" project in a few years, with the help of a Growing Greener grant.

:lol: classic

I noticed today that there is also a fancy colorful new riparian buffer sign at Fishermans Paradise, right next to the footbridge near the upper parking area. With lots of mowed banks in sight both upstream and down.

The sign has the logos of PFBC, DCNR, Clearwater Conservancy and Spring Creek TU. I'm puzzled at the intent behind placing a riparian buffer, do not cut sign in a place where the sign is surrounded by mowed banks.

What is going on here? Does anyone have any insight?

Spring Creek thing is valid, but really Maurices post is very disturbing. This lady is on the Game and Fisheries committee and wants to represent us like that?

Email is on there. Go, go, go.

Form letter out there somewhere or should I be creative?

First, I think this should be circulated to PATU, conservation districts, etc. Then pile on with the letters. I elect you and Maurice to work on this project due to the knowledge of riparian buffers and the use of pretty words.

Will write nasty gram, someone give me bullet points as to what you want in there.

troutbert wrote:

2) On the topic of PFBC riparian mowing. Has anyone been to Big Spring Creek this season, and if so is the PFBC still mowing up to or near the banks on their properties on that stream? I know that the Big Spring Watershed Association was trying to do something about riparian buffers a while back, but don't know how that panned out.

The mowing up to the water's edge by the PFBC and local land owners along Big Spring has been stopped.

We hate you because you want to make water bad.

Riparian buffers are important for good water quality. Riparian zones help to prevent sediment, nitrogen, phosphorus, pesticides and other pollutants from reaching a stream. It is in fact the feverish development of property that has resulted in the degradation of water quality throughout the country. Stream temperatures skyrocket as cement, asphalt, steel and glass are placed stream side. Without the riparian buffers the nitrates and phosphates from the manicured lawns assault the stream. The increased temperatures and increased chemical load results in unhealthy, weed choked watersheds much like we see in the Chesapeake Bay. During a time when scientist are working to solve the issues impacting our waterways, dumping millions of dollars in resources to reverse the damages created by mankind, you are proposing that we accelerate the destruction of our watersheds. Riparian buffers are incredibly effective at reducing water temperatures and filtering out the chemicals that run off into our streams. Riparian buffers provide valuable habitat for wildlife. In addition to providing food and cover they are an important corridor or travel way for a variety of wildlife. Forested stream sides benefit game species such as deer, rabbit,
quail and nongame species like migratory songbirds.
Riparian vegetation slows flood waters, thereby helping to maintain stable stream banks and protect downstream property. By slowing down flood waters and rainwater runoff, the riparian vegetation allows water to soak into the ground and recharge groundwater. Slowing flood waters allows the riparian
zone to function as a site of sediment deposition, trapping sediments that build stream banks and would otherwise degrade our streams and rivers. Are you simply trying to create more flooding? Don't you think we have had enough?

Your proposal is brash and ignorant. I hope you die in a grease fire.

^ What he said +1

What Jdaddy said, plus riparian buffers help create pool and overhead cover habitat for trout.

Trees provide pool and overhead cover through influence of tree roots, leaning trees, downed trees, and logjams (large woody debris).

When streams have lots of pools and overhead cover they support more and bigger trout than a the stream is flat and shallow.

And more and bigger trout is a very important societal good. :)

We had our little TU meetin' tonight, this was one of the hot topics. I didn't realize that this was a local girl for us.

I'm oncall this week which makes me extra crabby and useless, but if I can find a time, I'll craft it up.

gfen wrote:
We had our little TU meetin' tonight, this was one of the hot topics. I didn't realize that this was a local girl for us.

I'm oncall this week which makes me extra crabby and useless, but if I can find a time, I'll craft it up.

All the moar reason to do it imo. I'll see if I can push some buttons at our meeting tomorrow night.

All the TU chapters know about this.

aye, from what i was told patu is already wartching it and waiting to see if it picks up co-sponsers before launching into a campaign.

doesn't mean you can't start your letter writin' early. just because the large orgs won't throw in yet doesn't mean freshmen reps won't wonder how so much hatred was inspired by a mere trial balloon.

part of me wonders if this is locally started though. there's some talk about developing a large portion of land right next to a major recharge point on monocacy creek which is in ms hahn's back yard.

+1 Jdaddy,

I take it that is the form letter? just attach my name to the bottom?

LOLz

Back