Rio tippet

R

reds

I have been using primarily rio tippet for the last six years or so and have begun to notice that when I get spools with the colored outside sleeve, the white band that holds it on the sleeve, it seems to discolor the tippet material. My friend pointed it out a year or so ago and i noticed it definitively on a spool of 6x last weekend. I usually stick to 5x which has the white sleeve, but have noticed a yellow cast to my 6x and bluish color to my 4x. Does anyone else have this problem or for the guys who have worked in fly shops have others complained?
I should point out that I really like the quality of the tippet otherwise, but this does present an issue for me.

I know exactly what you mean Reds. I've noticed the same thing over the last 3 years or so. I don't know if it's the elastic band that colors the tippet or if they just make it those colors to help differentiate between the various sizes.

Funny thing is I had a friend who worked in a fly shop for a while and he told me I was crazy until I showed him how apparent it was, especially at the knots.

Love the powerflex though that has always bothered me just a little. I can't say that I feel it's affected my catch rates though so take that for what it's worth.

I worked at a shop that sold rio and I use rio 50% of the time and hav never heard of that before (now I have to go check my spools)

I use Rio tippet and PF all the time. I have noticed the off coloring as well. I have not noticed a difference in the performance of the tippet. I have some older spools and the color has not changed. I think the few spools I got that were off color were that way when I bought them. I will keep using it until I start having problems with it and I hope that will be never. Fish on!

Back