Rio Powerflex plus?

troutpoop

troutpoop

I stumbled across a video for Rio Powerflex Plus leaders and tippet. Anyone try this product yet. It is touted by the Rio guy as 20% stronger.
I have never really had problems with my tippet but I'm curious if this is any better. I primarily fish dries so my preferences lean towards less drag. I worry a product may have lost some of its supple properties to gain strength.

Have used powerflex mono and fluoroflex plus for years. Never got a bad spool. Have not tried the new stuff yet

Last year I used SuppleFlex for the entire year with good results. I've never seen this new stuff.

I love Rio leaders.

If you can, spring for the guide spools of floroflex. I think I have a guide spool of 5X and regular spools of the other sizes.

Floro doesn't go bad like mono.

+1 I have guide spool of fluoroflex in 3x, 4x and 5x for nymphing. Powerflex guide spools of 3x, 4x and 5x for dries.

I'm guessing that the "plus" version will replace the usual powerflex at many fly shops. If you want to wait until May, I'll post a review on it. LOL.

That's the video I watched. I may get a small spool to see how it performs. I prefer to throw dries so I'll let everyone knows how it performs. I hope it isn't too stiff to get that type of strength.

I have used both Rio Powerflex (surface) and Fluoroflex plus (subsurface) for years. Rio makes quality tippet and I am more than willing to try their new product.

I use suppleflex as well. Slightly better (more supple) than powerflex I'm guessing this stuff goes the other way. Slightly stronger, less supple than powerflex.

Looks like Orvis just came out with their own Super tippet

Via Orvis Page
"Our Superstrong Plus tippet delivers extra strength without sacrificing performance.
Meet the ideal all-around freshwater material. The wet knot strength of Super Strong? is higher than any other nylon material, meaning when that big brown chomps on your hopper, you can finish the fight without fear of breakage. With a perfectly balanced blend of elasticity, knot strength, and suppleness, Super Strong is versatile and adaptable. Nylon. Imported.
Fly fishing tippets available in 8X, 7X, 6X, 5X, 4X, 3X, 2X, 1X, 0X, 18.5 lb., 20 lb., 25 lb., 35 lb., 40 lb., 50 lb., 60 lb., and 65 lb."

Back