rio nymph line

krayfish

krayfish

Has anyone tried it or currently use it? I've gotten some info that it's quite good and will rollcast a nymph rig with ease. Any feedback is appreciated.

I've had two of them and this spring will put a 3rd on my rig. Love it.

IMO Rio makes the best lines and the welded loop lasts for the life of the line. Pricey though. However, it's a legitimate discussion if a 40.00 line is good enough.

Just bought one for my steelhead rig, haven't fished it yet. I'll let you know when I take it for a spin.

Jdad,

I'll take you up on that 5wt line. You need anything?

I've actually never used a Rio fly line, at least to my knowledge. Always been various SA lines, and I think I had an Orvis in there somewhere. However, with a Christmas gift certificate, I just ordered a Rio Gold WF 5 wt for my workhorse setup. We'll see how it goes. Anyone have a review, or things to watch out for?

Gold is an ugly color, but performs acceptably.

I, personally, prefer rio grand for nymphing. Haven't used the nymph line yet.

Rio makes the best lines and tippet imo.

Tippet, I agree, and I'm pretty much solely a Rio guy there.

Fly line, I have nothing against them. I merely found just about every line I've ever used to perform acceptably when new. They last a few years, so the turnover rate is slow, which diminishes my ability to "test" new lines. So I never really bothered to get into the comparison game. If my run of the mill SA line worked fine, why change?

But this year, I need a new line, and not much else. The gift card was hefty. So I thought I'd treat myself to a more expensive, "premium" line and see what the fuss was about. I like the Rio name and the color transition to "moss" seemed like a cool idea, so it sold me.

jayL wrote:

Rio makes the best lines and tippet imo.

I have always sworn by Orvis Super Strong as the best tippet out there but I recently had Rio 5X sent to me as an equal replacement because they ran out of Orvis. I have to say, I'm liking it as much as Orvis.

I find it to be more supple, clearer, and to have better knot strength.

I doubt the second matters, but I like peace of mind.

Suppleness is what's important to me in a tippet. Knot strength has never been a problem for me in any of them. And suppleness is real easy to test at home. Cut off an equivalent length of each material at equal diameters, put in vice at same spot, observe how it hangs, how easy it bends, etc.

Orvis Superstrong isn't supple at all, it's rather stiff. I don't think it's a copolymer, just straight nylon, like Maxima Chameleon. As such, it makes a fine leader material, just not tippet. In fact, I do use it in my leaders as a transition from Maxima to more supple tippet materials, it falls nicely in between in stiffness.

Of the one's I've tested, Rio Powerflex was in the lead for a long time. The new Rio Suppleflex beats it by a hair, but it's hard to find. Rio remains the king of tippets for me.

Fluoro has it's own range by brand, and ranges overlap, but it's generally stiffer than copolymers and more supple than straight nylon.

Nothing to watch out for. Gold is one of the best on the market. Used it for a couple of years now w/o any complaints.

Rio Suppleflex is the best tippet i have ever used for dry-fly fishing. If I had to pick a second it would be climax or frog hair but both can be hard to find in flyshops.

A 5 wt Rio Gold is what I have on my trout rig. Its a been a great line. I like it better than the Orvis Wonderline it replaced. It'll handel evedrything you need it to. I've fished dry flies, nymphs and streamers with it and have been very happy.

Gold is an ugly color.

Loaded this stuff on the reel last night. I'll never see the gold anyway, lol. The color transition from "moss" to "gold" occurs at like 33 feet in. Add a leader, and you have to have a 40' cast just to get the gold part past the rod tip. I can and do make 40' casts, but it's certainly longer than average. So the majority of the time the moss to gold transition will either reside on my reel or be on the length of the rod somewhere, which might get annoying, actually. At it's farthest, it'll be a few feet beyond the rod tip.

I thought it was a cool idea, but being that its so far back, I kind of fail to see the point.

Oh well, we'll see how well the line performs this year.

It marks the transition from the head to the belly of the line

Back