Rio mainstream

• Thread starter blackandgold4ever05
  • Start date
blackandgold4ever05

blackandgold4ever05

Just wondering if any of you guys use this line or have used in the past. I'm getting a new rod and reel and thinkin about getting rio mainstream. I was pretty much set on the cabelas CZN in 11ft 4wt, but my local fly shop has a Cortland Brook series in 10ft 4wt. I fell in love with it and would much rather support the local shop than cabelas. I'm also getting the Cortland Pro Cast mid arbor reel for it. It's gonna be used for nymphs and wet flies 99.9% of the time. I do want a wff line but not sure I need $70-$80 line. My local fly shop has rio mainstream for $45. What can you guys tell me about this line or rod and reel? I'm pretty excited about it!

The main stream line is a 1\2 size heavy. I have it on my 5wt. Its ok nothing to brag or complain about.

It can be had a lot cheaper than that. I think I grabbed one for 20 bucks on sale at cabelas.

Not too impressed, but I guess I got $20 worth. Would not have been happy with the line had I paid full price. It performed acceptably for a season, and is now the worst line I own. I am replacing it any day now.

I've used the 5DT Rio Mainstream. It's slightly overweight, long belly, short front taper. With a full-flexing fiberglass or cane rod, it works pretty well, especially on larger streams like Penn's Creek or the LJ. Not a fine presentation line for a small stream or spring creek. But there are a lot of vintage fiberglass and cane rods out there that are on the heavy side of 5 weight (often marked for 6 wt) with progressive actions, and a long belly/short taper DT line will start loading rods like that with only the leader and a couple of feet of line past the tip-top. Just design a leader to match well with it, and it makes for very easeful yet accurate casting at short to medium distances. The line is probably a little logy for a faster action graphite rod, though.

Back