Rings and clips

M

meck1776

Because my eyes are getting worse I bought some tiny metal rings at Cabelas the other day, to tie the tippet to the leader. I also use a real tiny clip for attaching the fly. Reading on another forum, are these illegal to use?

Never even thought of rings being illegal...Just started using the rings on my leaders since the Jam.Suggested by Heritage Angler trying to help an old man with failing eyesight and to improve my casting.Two impossible tasks:)

meck1776 wrote:
Reading on another forum, are these illegal to use?

Who the heck is suggesting they are illegal? I am assuming someone is trying to say that they are contrary to fly fishing only regulations?

Anyway, it's a load of crap IMO.

They're saying they are illegal on "Fly Fishing Only" streams. Read from Catch and Release, Fly Fishing Only regs.

If using rings and clips help you out, use them. They are not prohibited to use anywhere, including FFO areas.

Below is the CRFFO regulation from the PFBC site:

CATCH AND RELEASE FLY-FISHING ONLY

Open to fishing year-round (no closed season).

New-Fishing is permitted on a 24-hour basis.

No trout may be killed or had in possession.

Fishing may be done with artificial flies and streamers constructed of natural or synthetic materials, so long as all flies are constructed in a normal fashion on a single hook with components wound on or about the hook. Anything other than these items is prohibited.

Fishing must be done with tackle limited to fly rods, fly reels and fly line with a maximum of 18 feet in leader material or monofilament line attached. Spinning, spincast and casting rods and reels are prohibited.

The use or possession of any natural bait, fishbait, bait paste and similar substances, fish eggs (natural or molded), or any other edible substance is prohibited.

Taking baitfish or fishbait is prohibited.

Wading is permitted unless otherwise posted.

New-An angler in a boat may possess bait and fish caught in compliance with the seasons, sizes and creel limits in effect for a water from which it was taken, provided that the boat angler floats through the Catch and Release Fly-Fishing Only area without stopping or engaging in the act of fishing or the boat angler puts in or takes out his boat at an access point within the Catch and Release Fly-Fishing Only area.

A current trout/salmon permit (or Combination Trout/Salmon/Lake Erie permit) is required.

meck1776 wrote:
They're saying they are illegal on "Fly Fishing Only" streams. Read from Catch and Release, Fly Fishing Only regs.

The forum you read this on? Best avoid it - they're clueless.

IMO, tippet rings are good, but those little clips you can use to attach flies to the end of your tippet are more trouble than they're worth.

To help the visually impaired, add a tippet ring to the end of a 7 1/2' 1X or 2X leader. Add tippet material from there - ie 2' of 4X, 5X, or 6X. You only need to know (and tie) a clinch knot to add the ring, tippet, and fly to this setup. One knot. Easy.

If you buy tippet rings, I'd suggest buying the ones that come on a snap swivel. Tie your tippet to the last ring before the end that opens on the swivel, and do so with the snap still closed. Once the knot is done, open the snap and remove just the ring you tied to. This prevents losing those tiny little rings - they're not exactly cheap. Something like these:

Tippet rings

To help with tying flies on the end of your tippet, I've found that attaching one of these to a "zinger" (retractable leash) makes life a lot easier. These work for tiny flies up to size 2 or so hooks:

Tie Rite Sr.

if you happened to buy rings without the snap swivel, use a safety pin to store them. thats what i use.
and as mentioned above, tying one end on to the ring when it is on the clip gives you something to pull on to seat the knot more easily

Heritage-Angler wrote:

To help the visually impaired, add a tippet ring to the end of a 7 1/2' 1X or 2X leader. Add tippet material from there - ie 2' of 4X, 5X, or 6X. You only need to know (and tie) a clinch knot to add the ring, tippet, and fly to this setup. One knot. Easy.

There are no turnover issues going from heavy tippet to ring to fine tippet? For example from 2x to ring to 5x or even 6x?

(Regarding the original question, I see nothing in the regs prohibiting tippet rings.)

No issues at all.

I often use 4' of the same size tippet - even 6X, and it works OK.

If I'm feeling OCD, I'll step it down, say 2' of 4X, and 2' of 6X, but it really isn't much of a casting problem.

A lot of furled leaders terminate with tippet rings, and this works fine on those as well. Same concept.

The reason I recommend a 1X or 2X connection to the ring is to help avoid losing the ring as well as the tippet. I often give newbies a leader constructed this way to help minimize frustration.

I used tippet rings, and although it made tying the tippet material on a lot easier, it seemed to make my dry flies sink a little quicker then normal. I know it is very little weight, but that was just my perception. Damn if it didn't save me a lot of time tying knots though. I love using them when nymphing.

I use tippet rings while fishing trico spinners size 24 and 26 with 6x and 7x tippet. I have never had any problem with the fly sinking. IMO tippet rings are one of the best things to come along for flyfishing in many years. I have used them for ten years.

Im the one who said it was illegal, never said that the tippet rings are because i have been using them for years. I was refering to barrel swivels being illegal per conversation i had about them just a few weeks ago with a older gentleman that knows his stuff. If i am wrong about the barrel swivels being illegal im sorry but there is noone reason for the attacks

A brightly colored tippet ring that was made as a hollow ring (like a thingamabobber) would do double duty.

attackone wrote:
I was refering to barrel swivels being illegal per conversation i had about them just a few weeks ago with a older gentleman that knows his stuff.

Illegal for what?
I've seen no evidence that a barrel swivel would be illegal in any PA fishing scenario that I can think of.
Do you have a link or can you provide us the regulation that would imply that swivels are off limits?

(Perhaps the older gentleman was referring to "swivels" when he meant a lure that has a spinning function like an in-line spinner. Obviously, that would be off limits in an FFO.)

Tippet rings were a game-changer for me!!

http://www.orvis.com/news/fly-fishing/tuesday-tip-how-to-use-a-tippet-ring-and-perhaps-join-the-dark-side/

Back