Ridley Creek State Park for beginner?

M

montcotrout

My brother is coming up from DC this weekend and is just getting into fly fishing. He wants to go fishing this Tuesday. Is the fly fishing only section at Ridley worth checking out for a beginner, or should I stick with Pennypack which is closer and getting restocked this week? Want to make sure I get him on some fish.

I live about 3 minutes from the Ridley Creek FFO stretch and rarely fish it. Too crowded, too pressured. I’d fish the Tulpehocken artificial lures only section, or your local stocked creek.

Or for scenery, the Tohickon between Ralph Stover State Park and Tohickon Valley County Park.

Agreed on the Wissahickon... Plenty of room to cast and not get tangled in trees.

I often take friends there who are just getting into fly fishing.

Tuesday evening we experienced a heavy midge hatch. Fish were active, and responded well to small generic nymphs under a yarn indicator.

-John P

Don't limit yourself to the FFO section at Ridley. Explore the park, and you will find fish.

Don't limit yourself to the FFO section at Ridley. Explore the park, and you will find fish.

This ^^^^

Above or below the Gradyville Road Bridge in the State Park is a nice place and with no PFBC scheduled stockings for a few weeks there may be thinner crowds next Tuesday...

and trust me, there are plenty of fish in that creek.

You could also explore the fly stretch if you wanted.

Above or below the Gradyville Road Bridge in the State Park is a nice place and with no PFBC scheduled stockings for a few weeks there may be thinner crowds next Tuesday...

and trust me, there are plenty of fish in that creek.

You could also explore the fly stretch if you wanted.
I was hiking out at Ridley last week and spoke to a spin fisherman who caught 10 just above the Gradyville Rd. bridge. He said he used power bait.

Agreed on the Wissahickon... Plenty of room to cast and not get tangled in trees.

I often take friends there who are just getting into fly fishing.

Tuesday evening we experienced a heavy midge hatch. Fish were active, and responded well to small generic nymphs under a yarn indicator.

-John P
Nice! I fished the section off 73 in Fort Washington State Park the other day and only got 3 but that section is heavily pressured. I was worried about Easter leading to extra pressure. Do love that creek though and it's close.

Back