Ridley Creek Fishing Reports etc.

G

GStan

Hi. Does anybody have any recent reports on Ridley Creek in Delaware County?

Yo GSta - I've looked in Ridley several times in the last week when I went by. Very few bugs other than the midges. Looks to be a goodly number of stockies from the Commish and Delco Anglers.

Also should be noted, that despite a small bump from this last rain Ridley is running low as many of our streams are. Lived in Delco for 25 years and pretty much gave up on the fly stretch; too few good runs and way to many anglers. That said there is plenty of better water if you don't mind hiking.

What I recommend with Ridley is what I do with most southeastern Stocked Trout Waters...

Wait a few weeks until after the last spring in-season stocking. In the case of Ridley, avoid the FFO stretch (I avoid just about all of them) and hit the open water in Ridley Creek State Park.

You probably won't be alone but it IS Delco so you can't expect solitude. ;)

Hit Ridley Creek from 4 to 6 PM. Stood just upstream from about 15 guys and fished where the riffles entered the deeper pool. Caught 30-35 on nymphs, and let a 12 year old fish my rod / reel in a few. Those poor bait tossers were perplexed that “the guy with the fly rod is catching one every cast!” I really hate the opening day crowds in SE PA, but it WAS fun catching one nearly every cast.

Hate the Ridley Creek FFO section. Live 3 minutes from it and hardly ever fish it.

Hit Ridley Creek from 4 to 6 PM. Stood just upstream from about 15 guys and fished where the riffles entered the deeper pool. Caught 30-35 on nymphs, and let a 12 year old fish my rod / reel in a few. Those poor bait tossers were perplexed that “the guy with the fly rod is catching one every cast!” I really hate the opening day crowds in SE PA, but it WAS fun catching one nearly every cast.

Hate the Ridley Creek FFO section. Live 3 minutes from it and hardly ever fish it.
So how many fish were actually in that hole??

Couldn’t see them, but it had to be loaded. It usually is in opening day, until they spread out downstream or are caught and kept.

So how many fish were actually in that hole??

The year of the pandemic surprise opening day, a family member (who I trust not to embellish) hit Ridley by coincidence right after stocking. His report was that he caught a ton, he stopped to call his buddy to let him know it had been stocked, and then together they continued to catch a ton more. We're talking in the 75-100 range in one small area.

At least at that point, I don't think there was the labor needed to spread them out at all.

Back