Reviews of Waders with Front Zippers

G

GStan

Has any one tried the new waders with front zippers? If so I would appreciate hearing your opinions.

I would forgo the front zippers available on waders unless you want it for ease of putting them on/off. If you wand a zipper to take care of nature calls, buy a regular pair and have Bill Anderson install a zipper in the proper place. Go to you tube and search his name and Little Juniata Association. You will be glad you did. Esp. in the winter.

I have Simms G4Z's.
And really appreciate the zipper. It works for me

As I've gotten older, I usually have to "go" more often.
It's pretty nice to not have to take off my vest, unbuckle the straps, and lower the waders to do so.
Especially on rainy days, when removing the raincoat means getting wet too.

Also, in hot weather, I leave the zipper down until I enter the water.
And keep cooler walking to and from the stream

Theres no way my next pair of waders isnt going to have a zip front.

DFG, those G4Z's look very nice but, WOW, pricey! How long have you had them? They hold up well?

I believe you said you were a foot tractor boot guy too right? How do the G4Z pair with the foot tractor boots? Thanks!

timmyt2 wrote:
Theres no way my next pair of waders isnt going to have a zip front.

DFG, those G4Z's look very nice but, WOW, pricey! How long have you had them? They hold up well?

I believe you said you were a foot tractor boot guy too right? How do the G4Z pair with the foot tractor boots? Thanks!

I've had them 8 years now, I believe.
And they have held up well. Although I did have the booties replaced after 3-4 years.

I don't think I would buy them again though. They are rather thick and heavy.
Would probably go with the G3's - or headwaters, although those don't come with zipper as far as I know.

When I got them, they retailed for $700. Which I wouldn't have sprung for.
I bought mine directly from simms for 30% off, after returning my old pair, which were shot.
That brought it down to$480.

Yes, I've had the foot tractors for 2 years now.
And they're fine with my Simms waders

I've been using the Cabela's Zipfront waders for 2 years now averaging a dozen or so easy trips and a week of salmon river time on them. Just after this past trip, i had to patch up the seam on one bootie. Otherwise they have been very good value.

Walking on shore on a hot day, it's nice to have the zipper open. No issues wading into deeper water. Much easier on and off and of course bathroom breaks.

It's a budget option for sure, with no frills of extra pockets, but I use a vest with more than enough room for everything. So they work well for me.

I have Cabelas dry plus waders i have been using since the mid 2000s, i thought about just getting an updated version of those with a zipper

I cant see how getting some random guy to install a zipper and voiding your warranty would be better than just buying a pair of waders with a zipper included to begin with...

Dryfly-

The newest model g4 is thinner than the old ones. Similar to a g3. New type of gore tex.

Timmy, having this "random guy" put a zipper in does not void your warranty. He has check with several mfgs. The zipper goes across at the right spot, not up and down as mfg. zippers do. I have had Bill put several zippers in for me and I wouldn't go without them now. To each his own. BTW he will guarantee his work for life, how about Simms?

I dont think i can in good conscience give either Simms or Patagonia 800 plus dollars for waders, i just dont think i can do it. Does anyone have any experience with Aquaz?

https://www.hatchmag.com/articles/review-aquaz-dryzip-waders/7714984

Aquaz experience

I purchased the Aquaz Bootfoot Felt Sole model from Sierra Trading Post online in summer 2019. Sizing was way off, the 2XL was so small it more like a Large. Returned.

I do like the fact Aquaz offers custom build to order sizes if you order direct but i have yet to try it.

Rumor has it that Aquaz used to manufacture some of the waders for Patagonia prior to spring 2016 when Patagonia changed their whole wader line up and fit. I believe they went to another manufacturer at that time.

Back