Resoling Felt Waders with Rubber

Pontus

Pontus

Has anyone successfully replaced their felt soles with rubber? I have a cheap pair of boot foot waders that I'd like to be able to use to take friends out or when I'm worried about thick pricker bushes. The soles don't need to be great, just compliant with Maryland's ban. Would it be possible to just rubberize the existing felt soles somehow?

I've never even been able to replace the felts on boots. Good luck. I often thought that taking them to shoe repair shop could accomplish getting it done, but have never tried that.

Yeah, I'd think this would be tough. You might as well just strip off the old felts and take a look - the sole beneath the felt might be strong and thick enough to walk on as is. If you wanted to bulk it up a bit or add some tread, you might get a cheap pair of flip flops, cut out the rubber thong part and glue the flip flop directly to the bottom of the wader shoe.

I once replaced a pair of felt bottoms with aqua stealth soles - and it wasn't very hard. The new soles came in a kit - along with a large tube of barge cement and instructions. I think I may have got the kit from llbean - but that was at least 10- 15 years ago. No idea if they're still available now.

Bean doesn't have the kits anymore but 5.10 still does. They're about $25 shipped and I've heard nothing but good things about them. Just Googe 5.10!

Forgot to mention this but if you have felt soled Simms shoes, you can have them resoled with the rubber Vibrams by an authorized cobbler but it will set you back about $80 including shipping to and from. They won't just sell you the rubber.

The 5.10 kit looks like that'll be the best I can do. What do you guys think about this? If it works it might save me a lot of elbow grease. Not sure if it'd be enough to completely cover all the felt, though.

http://fiveten.com/products/accessories-detail/4280-stealthr-paint-kit

Pontus -

That coating ls a an interesting idea, and would probably be worth trying IMO. But I kinda doubt that just covering the felts with it, would make your boots legal in maryland

The aqua stealth soles got bad reviews (Keep in mind I have never used them, only used the vibram) and it looks like you can't put studs in with the conversion kit.
IDK. paying 35.00 to convert a boot on a older backup pair of waders, which might not end of lasting very long doesn't make sense to me.
I'd keep an eye on clearance sales and pick up a cheap pair of junkers if it were me.

I would think that ,unless the felt soles were completely removed, you'd still be violating their No Felt Law .

The Maryland DNR website has: “An individual may not use footgear with external felt soles in State waters or within five feet of State waters.”

I wonder if a rubber coating would make them internal felt soles...

I don't think you'd want to put that on the felt - it might fall off or the underlying felt could rip and you'd lose the sole.
I've heard that you should grind the felt off with a grinder and then glue to the rubber underneath - even if replacing felt with felt.

Back