Replacement wading boot studs

S

Scratch

I am looking for decent replacement studs for for my cabelas wading boots I would like to get the best available, something that won't wear down after just a few outings any suggestions???

I'm in the same boat (or will be soon enough) with my Korkers studded soles. Checking their prices on replacement studs makes me want to go to the local hardware store and see if they have something that will work.

I came across Rock Treads earlier this week and was considering giving them a try. The Patagonia boots with the aluminum bars get pretty good reviews for most wading situations, so these should be the same. I did read that they don't do well with ice.

I like Kold Kutter studs based on the price. Cheap on Ebay.

I bought the simms hard bite studs. And after a years use, they've worked and lasted pretty well so far.
But they're not cheap - $30 for a pack of twenty

+1 for Simms

I use Kold Kutter. They work and the price is good.

The Simms studs do seem to last a little longer. They have the carbide stuff welded on, and I got RC 47 when I ran a hardness test on the metal. It's just a coating though, once the carbide things break off and you wear through to metal, they are fairly soft. (Don't get the star cleats, they won't fit your boots).

That said, they are very expensive. You can get like 4x as many cold kutters for the same price. They're made for ice tires and pretty hardy themselves. Just replace them as they wear down. In the end you get better longevity that way, but it takes some maintenance.

And to take that thought to the extreme, you can run to the hardware store and pick up some hex head screws for a few cents each. Once you find the ones that fit, buy a hundred or so, and put a jar of them and a screwdriver in your gear kit. They wear down quick, but they ain't hard or expensive to replace. Just make sure they are short enough not to reach your foot, and the ones with the ridge around the hex head are gripper.

Hex head sheet metal screws work in a pinch, but definitely do NOT last very long

Kold Kutters are the way to go if you do an appreciable amount of fishing in a year. Too expensive to wear out, lose and have to replace the name brand studs.

Related question:any tips for inserting the kold Kutters so they stay in better?I googled this question and came up with this post:

"forty years ago i came up with a method that works very well. Simply drill 5/16" holes in the sole and install threaded tee nuts into the holes from inside the boot. You now have a 1/4-20 threaded inserts into which you can screw aluminum bolts.
As they wear, simply remove them with vice grips and re-install. Works with rubber or felt soles,and they can't tear out. I've found that aluminum bolt heads provide much better grip than carbide, but you could use hardened steel bolts as well........ Tee nuts are available at any hardware store as are 1/2" or 3/8" aluminum bolts"

Any thoughts on this suggestion?
Thanks
Tom

I have used kold kutters for 10 years. Once is a while one will come out. I replace it and just put a dab of aqua seal on the screw before putting it in. I think I paid like $30 for 250 screws on ebay. I even put them on a $20 pair of Walmart work boots and they lasted a whole summer.

Back