removing no-tox weight

troutpoop

troutpoop

OK, I bought the no-tox split shot. Seems to work fine but has no little ear thingies on the back to remove it from the line. Anyone else experience this? Any ideas how to remove it??

I tried the soft stuff and it just flew off ever three or four casts.

Cut the line.

Or, you can use a sharp edge. I use the can opener blade of my Swiss Army knife.

I have the same issue. My solution: Snip off fly, slide shot off end, retie fly.

I have a pair of needle-nose pliers with side cutters. Cut's them right off.

I tried the sidecutters and haven't mastered that yet and have cut the line unintentionally.
It kinda sucks having to retie tippet and flies just because you need to adjust the split shot which I do often.
I may just stick to lead till someone comes out with a "proper" split shot with ears.\

Thanks.

Ok guys, here's a solution. I use the dinsmore shot. If you get the supersoft, all the better. I used to cut the line etc. now I use a method that works great

You know those hook eye cleaners at the end of nippers? they make a great tool for opening the shot. Use it as a wedge. Slide the needle into the slit in the shot from the side. If you push straight, the needle doesn't break and it wedges open the shot. Be sure to insert above the tippet to prevent nicking the line.
I used mine for two years (a lot a trips and I use shot all the time-check out the user name!) before the needle came loose. The nippers needed replacing anyway.

They don't work well for microshot (sz 8), you have to have a steady hand for sz 6 shot, but anything larger is easy

just use twistons.

Attachments

• Twist1.jpg
    Twist1.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 5
Squeeze the side without the slit, perpendicular to the fly line. Should open right up for you. Still any time you put shot on its a good idea to remove them and retie, because the shot usually put nicks in the tippet.

tie your weight to a tag end and just slide off as needed....

Back