Removing corrosion from Chrome?

Longbow

Longbow

I noticed my reel and rod seat developed some light corrosion from leaving the reel on in garage. What is the best way to remove that light corrosion on chrome?
Thank you.

It depends on how deeply it has corroded. Try some Kroil or some similar penetrating oil, soak it for a few hours at least. See if it wipes off with an oily cloth. If not, perhaps it has permeated underneath the chrome, and different measures are needed. As a gun collector (and shooter) I have learned to always do the least invasive methods of restoration first. Can you post some pictures?
Mike B
PS: in the past when I was younger, I bought some older (SW) reels and polished a lot of the old heavy duty chrome lightly with brillo (yikes!) and they came out great... try the oil first, though!

Agreed. Gun oils are probably your least invasive, best bet. The next step is some sort of abrasive polish, starting as light as possible. Since you don't likely have polishing lab supplies like I do, a good starting point there is the stuff made to polish kitchen appliances. "Stainless Steel Magic" and the like. These take a little elbow grease, but the abrasives in the product are small and will leave a nice shine. If you need to go more aggressive you could move to the stuff made for car paints. In order from least aggressive to most would be:

Polish --> swirl removers --> scratch removers --> compound.

If said stuff leaves a haze, follow up with something less aggressive till your happy, then oil.

And note, if your chrome is not actually chrome but rather a chrome veneer, there is danger of chipping it off.

Great, thanks guys!

Better yet, staying with the auto parts theme, they actually sell chrome polishes! Buy bottle, follow instructions. In addition to a mild abrasive, they likely also have a mild acid that will attack the oxide but not the chrome itself.

If Hoppes don't take it off, I'd try a product called "Never Dull" in a silver tin can at auto parts stores.

i had a harley with gobs of chrome. polish works best but if its really stubborn try Extremely fine steel wool.

That'll work. As will scrumpled up aluminum foil. Honest! It's readily available, it works, and it is safer towards not damaging the chrome, just make sure it's lubricated well.

Picked up some of the Never Dull polish and it worked well. Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Flitz polish works great on rods and reels for cleaning.

Ron

Back