removing a reel seat?

skiltonian

skiltonian

anyone ever boil a reel seat off a rod in a pot of water?
if so, will it ruin the pot?

I have a broken rod, i'd like to re-build and re-use the reel seat. i'm thinking I can put it in boiling water to heat up the epoxy and remove from the blank. I don't want the epoxy residue on our cooking pots though.

Any input would be appreciated.

Go to your local old barn/mission/salvArmy and get some old pots for a couple bucks for dying and this sort of use.

I was in one yesterday and man you could get some great camping gear from peoples old kitchen junk. Cheap too.

^^ Yes, yes you can :-D ^^

Maurice wrote:
Go to your local old barn/mission/salvArmy and get some old pots for a couple bucks for dying and this sort of use.

I was in one yesterday and man you could get some great camping gear from peoples old kitchen junk. Cheap too.

I'm certain you meant Goodwill!

David wrote:
Maurice wrote:

I'm certain you meant Goodwill!

I didn't mean good will but that would work too....I see what you did there. A shameless plug! :)

When you go to pull it off, whatever you do, do not twist. It will break the graphite. Trust me, I know, I've done it. As you can see Here

Maurice wrote:
[....I see what you did there. A shameless plug! :)

Well, we don't have the greatest marketing budget...

Yes, reel seats can be removed using the method you're considering. The bonding agent used will impact how easy it comes off. And if the reel seat has a wood insert the wood finish may be damaged. If all metal try boiling. If wood insert and you want to reuse it, saw through the grip just above the reel seat and then drill out the section of rod blank inside the reel seat, trying to match bit size to wooden insert ID.

Jeff

Skiltonian,
I just noticed that you mentioned rebuilding your fishing rod. In that case sawing through your grip may not be the best solution. You can still do it, but you would then need to restore the butt section length by bonding a matching section of rod into the butt section.

Jeff

I took one off once simply by using a tea kettle. Just steam it off and it will come eventually.

got it done, perfectly. I just dremeled off the reel seat and then carefully drilled out the remaining blank. now to build the rod....

Thanks for the input - it's appreciated!

I may do this to reduce the weight of the threaded nickel silver reel seat on a rod. What kind of glue or epoxy is used to put it back on?

by k-bob on 2013/1/31 5:44:55 I may do this to reduce the weight of the threaded nickel silver reel seat on a rod. What kind of glue or epoxy is used to put it back on?

k-bob..... :idea: :idea: STOP :idea: :idea: ....put the hacksaw down and take a step back! :-o :-o . I saw what you did to that poor Sage. :-( :-D

you're right, it would be better to wait for water to boil!...

I was considering lightening the reel seat of my new elkhorn 1w, but since it will balance with a 2.75 oz loaded reel, I just took some weight off the reel and some backing off the line instead.

http://ultralightflyfishing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=7304

Back