Remind yourself

C

CRB

Remind yourself that you are living the good old days right now. Don't wait for ten years just to rely on memories.
Make the most of it,
make the best of it.

CRB, So true. There is a quote on a marker along the Letort by Vince Marinaro which reads "There is an older generation of fishermen, to which I belong, who have memories of a special kind of pleasure, not evident today." Get out there and fish with family and friends, value the resource, share your wisdom, and encourage the young. You'll reflect on these experiences someday with great pleasure. And like Vince Marinaro, you can say you have "seen the elephant."

I've learned this to be especially true the last few years when I planned on fishing all the time only to end up in too many doctor's offices and surgery centers.

I'm the oldest of five. My youngest sister is 20 years younger than me. She had been complaining of reflux lately and threw up so her doctor scheduled an upper endoscopy to see if she was having a stomach issue. They were shocked to find cancer of the esophagus.

She is only 46, in great physical shape with almost no risk indicators. Tomorrow she goes into surgery and her future has totally changed for now.

So true , I had to learn the hard way. I spent A number of years working 50- 60 hours A week. Missed things with my kids , missed lots of hunting and fishing too. Then dealing with A bancruptcy and divorce from A wife who had the wool pulled over my eyes I saw the light. The last 10 years I fish hike and hunt as much as I can. My new motto is enjoy it now.

Back