Remember When?

TimRobinsin

TimRobinsin

I've been surfing you tube checking out old FF videos because, well frankly because they're a lot more fun than what's getting spewed out there now.

There might be more FF media now than ever before but I feel like there is less content. I know, I know, I sound like an old dude crabbin about the new kids. But take a look at this vid from Mel K. What a cool dude. Lot's of good stuff for everyone, no matter how long you have been doing it.

Check out the Hi-tech, stealthy wet wading at 33:14

friggin awesome

Hey Tim, that looks like a nice video. I watched the first 15 min and him wading 33:14. Looks like he's in his underwear. A long video like this is great to watch when tying. Thanks.

May have seen it before but would like to check it out when I get more time. Sounds like something I would enjoy.

remember Gadabout Gaddis ?

I just think it's great how laid back and chill this guy is. Real fundamentalist.

I have an old casting book by Krieger. It's a good read.

I remember Gadabout on Outdoors with Liberty Mutual and The Flying Fisherman. Also on the LM show was golfer Julius Boros a few other guys I can't remember. Each week one of them would host the show and they all loved to fish. I also remember Joe Foss, and locally we had Harry Allaman on Call Of The Outdoors.

the gigglers of today and their
"we got a double" are a sad step backwards-the only fly fishing show I can find are promo's for resorts.

Wish I could find episodes of The American Sportsman. The Curt Gowdy ones, not the later ones. I remember watching Bing Cosby and Phil Harris floating the North Platte or the Snake river in Wyoming. There were also episodes with Ted Williams or Lee Wulff fly fishing in Canada.

I don't want to be negative, but I really hate most of the new videos because they tend to be overly dramatic. I can do without a voiceover discussing how a hobby transcends life and death, philosophy, meaning of life, etc. Show, don't tell me. It only gets worse when they have kickstarters associated with them. Most of these videos are nothing more than overly polished home videos of vacations, which are great when they're your own.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a jerk.

Sal, I watched that short film when it was played at the Main Line Fly Tiers meeting back in the early 70's. Loved it. That really was a fun time.

I watch Sal's video with my TIC classes every year. Love it.

This brings back some memories. In 1987 while I was in college st Youngstown State Univerisity a local dentist opened a fly shop in Boardman OH. Although I was relatively new to fly fishing, thanks to my dad having a camp in Potter Co. I had more trout fishing experience than the other job applicants and was hired. We always had Mel Kreiger, Gary Borger and Rick Hafele video's playing. Learned a lot from those videos. I can still look at a section of stream and see that white stone "trout" laying in the prime feeding lane.

Tim,
Good video, relaxing, just as fishing should be, with just the sounds of the outdoors....no crappy music, sounds of the water...

The boots he put on in the beginning look like Gary Borger boots. I wore a pair of those for many years, real workhorses, but a bit heavy compared to today's boots.

I actually have another pair of the Borger boots, unused, still in the box. I forgot about them until I saw the video. I'll have to get those in the water soon. I believe they are up at my cabin.

John

you guys hit the nail on the head as far as I'm concerned. Don't get me wrong, the flat brimmers gotta make their own way. I grew up in during the "jackass" MTV x-games era and I can see the effect it has had on sports in general. But I love how fly-fishing kinda resists that influence. No matter how hard anyone tries to make the fly fishing into some kind of extreme sport it just feels awkward. I should know, shortly after I got started I went hi-tech gear crazy!

No offense to the guys making videos now, that's cool and everything. It's just nice to watch something with a little more substance.

Can't 50/50 a trout ;-)

Back