Reels and drag for trout

K

kbobb

For a long time I believed that a drag was not important with trout fishing and that the reel was basically a line holder. The last couple of years I have been fortunate enough to get a few trout on local streams that actually pulled line off of the reel when hooked making short runs, particularly when the fish is first hooked. It seems some fish made instant runs upon setting the hook.
This past week about half the fish I caught actually made runs, some more than 10 -15' taking line off of the reel. these were lip hooked fish, not foul hooked. I did break off 2 fish cause the drag was set too tight - fish took off right after seetting the hook popping the tippet (it was new tippet, 4x - not old stuff)..
Now I have become a believer in having a reel with good, smooth drag, and have the drag set properly, for trout fishing.

Granted I apply this to some streams selectively, there are still some trout streams where a drag is not necessary.

Your experiences with this?

To be honest, I almost never use my reel to bring in a trout. Usually just strip the line in. The fish usually aren't that big. For me, the reel is just for holding line.
I've always done the same as you but there have been some fish the past couple years, and this year, that just take off instantly when the hook is set. I mean set the hook and bam - the fish is off and running. These, fortunately, have mostly been fish over about 14" and in larger waters. Really there is no time at all to take up slack - they just pull off what loose line I have from controlling the drift and hit the reel in less than a second. I got tired of losing fish and flies so on certain streams now I take my good reels and have mostly been able to keep fish on the line without popping them off. Also religious about using new tippet material.
In brookie streams and some small stocked streams I still use the old medalists, etc, and just pull them in by hand.

I own a lot of cheaper reels (and a few high end but not many). Over the last 10 years the vast majority of cheap reels as long as they are CNC machined are going to handle PA trout. I'm actually often surprised at how great and smooth the reel and drag are on some of these super cheap reels ( a couple were like $25 off ebay). Now are they going to last 20 years? Who knows but I know my small stream reels will. I rarely get trout on the reel. I had strip in 99.9% of my trout BUT last week I had 2 go on runs and get me on the reel. My $60 ebay no name (I think its Aventik) reel handled them fine.

NB - when I say my "good "reels I'm talking Lamson Liquid/Konic/Guru level. Nothing over $120

NB - when I say my "good "reels I'm talking Lamson Liquid/Konic/Guru level. Nothing over $120
My most expensive trout reel is $80 and its a MaxCatch which everyone knows is not high end gear. Most of my trout reels are MaxCatch, Piscifun, Okuma, Aventik, or some other no name off brand found on eBay. Now I do own a few higher end for 7wts and bigger where I know they will get a lot more abuse.

I'm somewhat in the middle. I set my drag very light. About 1/8 as tight as it will go, so most fish (~12") would take line easily but prevent unraveling reel into a holy mess.

Now that it is set, I very seldom use it. I control runs with my index finger ( line under finger, pinched against handle). I feel i have better and instant control of drag that way and can vary degree of tension as needed. I play all but the smallest fish from the reel.

I’m a stripper. I keep my drag just tight enough so that when I strip off line to cast it doesn’t backlash. Coincidentally, that also translates to just about right, in the event you need to put a bigger fish on the reel to protect a lighter tippet.

I hooked into two upper teens Browns on BFC last week on Sulphurs on 5x. I did put both of those fish on the reel, though neither took any line. Landed one. I let the other get behind me into an eddy when trying to land it and it found a moment of slack and got off.

Only one fish I’ve hooked into in PA (other than Carp) has taken any serious line on me. It was a large Trout (likely a pig stocker Rainbow from you know where) on the Little J in the Gorge. Took a small nymph on 5x in high water, and immediately ran like a bullet downstream of me with the current. Before I could touch the reel I was into the backing and it was still going. I just pinched the line and let it break off.
There was no bringing it back up, or me chasing after it downstream, without drowning.

I fish small streams a lot, usually with with 4x or 3x tippet. I’ve never had a fish, including high teens Browns threaten to break 4x, unless I tied a bad knot somewhere. It’s just a line holder for me 99% of the time.

I'm the opposite, I get the fish on the reel as soon as I can. Just eliminates one more mishap that can happen with line out in the current near my feet and where I plan on netting the fish. Even small fish can create horror show tangles. Plus I've been blessed with being given an Hardy, I just love that sound. :)

I'm the opposite, I get the fish on the reel as soon as I can. Just eliminates one more mishap that can happen with line out in the current near my feet and where I plan on netting the fish. Even small fish can create horror show tangles. Plus I've been blessed with being given an Hardy, I just love that sound. :)
I've seen so many people lose fish because of trying to get the fish on the reel right away. They concentrate on picking up all the line while the rod tiip is flopping around and the fish gets slack line and next thing ya know its off. Stripping in the line keeps constant pressure on the fish at all times. When I have a fish under control and I know its large I'll slap the reel a few times to take in some of the slack line. I never worry about picking up all the line and getting the fish on the reel though.

Last edited:
The majority of my trout reels are click & pawl and I almost never touch the drag adjustment knob (IF there is a drag adjustment knob, some don't have them) as long as I don't get spool over-run when I strip line, which I typically don't at the lowest setting.

I also own a few disk drag or sealed drag reels that I will adjust from the lowest setting (where I keep them when not in use) to just enough drag to prevent spool over-run, just like the clickers.

I always try and get fish of any size onto the reel because like DomR said, bad things can happen with misplaced loops of line if a fish runs. I do this OVER the index finger of my rod hand lightly pressed against the rod so I can clamp down on the line if I need to tighten the connection to the fish suddenly.

The other reason I try and get the fish on the reel is I was lectured to MANY moons ago by none other than Vince Marinaro (who also built fly rods) that a REEL is for fighting fish, not the rod.

That being said...

I really can only remember a few times in my whole life when a trout wanted line off of my spool and of those times, one or two when I actually tightened the drag as the fish was running. In those cases, it was probably because I knew there was room for the fish to run so I didn't pinch the line defying Vince's orders and fight the fish with the rod.

The other reason is the majority of my trout fishing is done on small to moderate streams where 179% of the fish I catch take off for the nearest tree/branch/root/log/vegetation/rock/discarded shopping cart in an attempt to break me off. That means I have to try and guide them away from the nearest tree/branch/root/log/vegetation/rock/discarded shopping cart with the rod and NOT let them run line and break me off.

Sorry Vince... ;)

I always fish with the fly line under my right index finger (right had on rod) and trap the line there when I set the hook, this is enough to handle most fish then I strip them in. But like I said a few fish the past few years have taken off immediately upon setting the hook and any line I had loose (from stripping in during the drift) was literally immediately yanked through my finger on the grip and into the reel. I initially tried to pinch off these runs and did pop the tippet, mostly 5x then. Thereafter, when the slack line was yanked I let the fish get on the reel rather than trying to pinch the fly line against the grip - A couple of these fish were like when a steelhead takes off - boom, gone. Just lucky to be getting into some nice fish - not complaining, just an odd observation from recent trips.
And to further clarify I don't intentionally put fish on the reel when I can strip them in - those fish just get stripped in. The fish I am referring too take any slack right through my finger and put themselves on the reel. Then when they stop I do strip them in and rel in slack while keeping pressure on the fish, always with a low rod tip.

Last edited:
I've seen so many people lose fish because of trying to get the fish on the reel right away. They concentrate on picking up all the line while the rod tip is flopping around and the fish gets slack line and next thing ya know its off. Stripping in the line keeps constant pressure on the fish at all times. When I have a fish under control and I know its large I'll slap the reel a few times to take in some of the slack line. I never worry about picking up all the line and getting the fish on the reel though.
Agreed, if you're not cognizant of keeping you're line tight you will be prone to lose fish. Been doing what I've been doing for so long that its almost 2nd nature, basically the way I'm most comfortable doing it. Someone's got to be the oddball, guess that's just who I am.

It’s often said that a fish worthy of being on the reel will put itself on the reel.

While largely true, you need to keep at least some tension/control over the line with your stripping hand while the fish is “putting itself” on the reel, or there’s a good chance it’ll get an opportunity with some slack line to throw the hook.

I fish almost exclusively for wild browns in central Pa where a larger aggressive fish is always a possibility. I fish mostly soft hackles across and downstream leaving a six inch loop of line outside the reel and loosely held by my index finger or even more loose line in my left hand. Right hand holding the rod. Larger fish, over 14 inches often make an initial hard run downstream away from me. The loop offers a little slack, allowing the fish to hook himself without getting a “ping” on the hook set. They typically hook themselves with this operation. If he runs hard with the current I slowly lift the rod tip keeping as much line off the water as feasible to protect the tippet. I use 4x and rarely break one off once he’s hooked. After the initial run When he calms down a bit I begin reeling. I always fight from the reel. Strip a little, reel a little, or just reel without stripping. When he starts his second tun, it’s hands off the line and let him fight the reel clicker. He often makes four or five shorter runs during the fight and it’s hands off each time. I Let him have some line and never horse him in. I use either simple caliper clicker reels or spring and pawl reels. For example Hardy Marquis, Martin 63 or 67. I always fight from the reel. Pic shows a Cortland Rimfly fixed clicker, no drag adjuster
5A79BF13 7BB6 487E BEA2 E992A29444EC

Last edited:
I am a disc/drag reel fisherman. I am sure that I have lost plenty of trout "getting them on the reel." Where I fish, I can catch plenty of trout that will pull some line off of the reel.

I have only ever seen my fly reel backing in Alaska.

I have lost them where I fish in the Poconos due to my lack of control palming a click and pawl fly reel as well.

Back