Reel Stuck to reel seat

D

Dubtheflyfisher

After fishing yesterday, i went to remove my Allen ATS reel from my Allen Prelude rod and the reel will not budge from the reel seat. I'm not all that familiar with the individual parts of a reel seat, but I got the back 2 rings to come unscrewed but the larger ring that holds the reel in place on the seat will not budge. Need some advice on how I could remove it without damaging the rings or reel seat.

Btw, it is an up locking reel seat.

Run it under some warm water.

If Ryans idea don't work and it's uplocking, put a pair of round bite slip joint pliers on the ring, put a thick piece of leather between the bite to prevent scratching, stand up the rod on the butt and tap the pliers joint with a hammer while squeezing tightly. if that don't work there are two reel on rod cases in the swap forum.

Maurice wrote:
if that don't work there are two reel on rod cases in the swap forum.

Now, that was funny! And practical at the same time!

I like to think of myself as a useful idiot.

if you choose to do something like WD40 be careful not to get it on your fly line and to clean everything after you're done. I would probably go that route though before trying to force it off with pliers.

Try putting the rod and reel section of your fly rod in the freezer for a few minutes. I had to do this to pull apart a section of my fly rod because it was stuck. Seems to work well....

ron

Thanks guys for all the great advice! The hot water worked! Just was a little bit of dirt stuck in there.

Tight lines to you all

The rod gets stuck together when heat expands the male section of the ferrule, thats why cold water or putting your rod in the snow for a minute works. The stuck reel seat is a different scenario you want warmth so the the lock nuts will expand to loosen.

Back